Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rigs with good noise blankers  (Read 1157 times)
AF5CC

Ignore
« on: March 12, 2013, 07:31:03 PM »

I have a really bad noise on 17m (and sometimes other bands) that really makes it hard to hear signals at times.  It sounds like some sort of electrical crud from consumer electronics, or something like that.  It might be powerline noise, but I really don't think so.  Anyways, I know the best solution is to remove the source of the noise, but that isn't always possible. 

What rigs have good noise blankers that take out electrical types of noise?  I know the Yaesu FT100D is pretty good at it.  What other rigs have you used that worked good.  The FT100D is getting kind of hard to fine used nowadays.

Any suggestions or experiences would be most welcome!

John AF5CC
TANAKASAN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 04:09:24 AM »

If you find one let me know. In thirty years of ham radio I've never found a rig with an effective noise blanker and when it came to designing my own rig I left it out without a second thought. What I HAVE found to be effective are the external boxes which use a separate noise antenna and then phase inversion to cancel out the interference. The Timewave ANC-4 is a good example of this: http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1138

Tanakasan
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 05:07:41 AM »

I have a really bad noise on 17m (and sometimes other bands) that really makes it hard to hear signals at times.  It sounds like some sort of electrical crud from consumer electronics, or something like that.  It might be powerline noise, but I really don't think so.  Anyways, I know the best solution is to remove the source of the noise, but that isn't always possible. 

Any suggestions or experiences would be most welcome!

John AF5CC

MFJ 1026 Noise Canceller. Uses an out of phase signal to lower/eliminate the interference. Have a look on the Youtube videos. I think that in the UK at least it is almost becoming a requirement for anyone living in an urban area wanting to work HF on the lower bands.

Failing that, you're looking at the Flex.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: