Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is CW going to survive?  (Read 4447 times)
VE3GNU

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2009, 04:52:49 AM »

In response to the question at hand---in my view, KB1LKR has summed it all best---an outstanding point of view that envelopes all the salient isssues, very well expressed---my compliments.
73---Ernie
KE2KB

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2009, 05:50:05 AM »

Thanks for all of your great posts guys. I never expected such a response to this question. I think I had underestimated the activity on CW, and here on this forum.

My experience with CW is very pleasant. I always loved the almost mesmerizing rhythm of CW, and enjoyed the "feel" of it.

I have an old "Mimic" memory keyer and a nice Hamkey paddle. I'm thinking I will just set it up for practice, and eventually maybe get my HW-101 back on the air.
I might be able to run a dipole for 15m or 20m between the house and garage.

I've been living in an apartment for 20 years, and just came back home two years ago.
I'm starting to feel the Ham bug bite again.

You guys have inspired me to see what I can do to get my low band rig back on the air, if not at least as a receiver.

FW
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2009, 06:32:05 AM »

Another advantage of CW is that you can't tap dance SSB

http://www.videospider.tv/Videos/Detail/132131325.aspx
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2009, 07:53:02 AM »

CW will survive as long as some of the SSB users continue to be impolite on the air.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2009, 02:31:45 PM »

I think CW will survive as long as the hobby does.

Or maybe until someone comes up with hardware designs for another mode that allows you to homebrew a transceiver into a pill bottle and make contacts with it, without the use of a computer or any peripheral devices besides a key and an antenna.

CW aficionados use the mode, some exclusively, for many reasons, but a very popular one is its incredible simplicity; that almost anyone, even those without any technical electronic training, can homebrew a CW rig and get it to work and make contacts.   That with a key and $2 headphones plugged into a $40 rig, you can make contacts all night long without anyone else in the house even knowing you're on the air.  That it's a mode that allows every band to open earlier and close later.
K9FON

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2009, 05:19:24 PM »

CW will last as long as there is an interest. I use CW from time to time just because i want a change of pace from SSB. Although i dont use a CW key (i use a computer. I have problems with my wrist from carpal tunnel and using a key after a while kills my wrist!)
I Do really enjoy having a nice QSO with anyone.
W5PJW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2009, 02:21:38 PM »

I think it will survive because it's still the best bang for the buck, watt, effort, whatever. Although you can use the latest bleeding-edge technology rig on CW, and they are wonderful, it's not a requirement to make most contacts. Simple gear yields good results. It's easier to homebrew a CW rig than a SSB rig (although doing both is fun). As someone mentioned I can work CW late into the night w/o bothering the XYL. Can't do that on phone (not in our house anyway).  

Plus, it's just cool!

73, Mark
AH6GI

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2009, 03:17:35 AM »

I believe it will.  In fact, I expect a new, broader interest in CW.  It won't just happen, it will take promotion, good press, an outreach program (go get em FISTS), and hams having fun, lots of fun.

I am not a CW op, in fact, I barely operate at all.  I mostly repair old radios and listen to HF in the background.

I did operate a CW Special Events station the other year.  I was the op with the bad fist, but hey, I tried and had a great time.  

My absolutely best experience as an op was as a novice.  

I would come home from high school and work local on 40 and on weekends, DX on 15.  It was me, my scraps of paper, ARRL log, DX-60, sending out and receiving QSL cards.

That was over 40 years ago.

Today we have cheap cell fones, the Internet, 10 cent transistors, Tweets, and a failing economy.  

Saying that CW has been superceded by technology misses the point.  I have a nice car, the air conditioning and CD player work well.  I still see people running, biking, and I know a woman who rides horses.

CW has moved from the Western Union, SOS-Titanic-Calling, "shut down, there's a Nazi patrol!" days to a ballet on the air, let me test myself, hey this is fun, an avocation.  It's a radio sport.  

I am building a Hendricks BitX20a SSB transceiver, just to do it. I don't need to do it; I have a Ten-Tec Jupiter, full S-line, AND a Signal/One CX7A.

My next project will be a Ten-Tec 1340, Elecraft K1, or similar. There are so many great CW radios for not very much money.  Compare the inexpensive but excellent 1340 to my old crystal bound DX-60.  With the Dow Key, a few crystals, my novice transmitter was over $100.  The 1340 includes a receiver with a sharp CW filter, QSK, RIT, sidetone, 0.25 sensitivity, stable VFO.    

I've been at gatherings where people are showing off their iPhones or digital cameras.  I do what they hope for, I say,

"Hey, that's neat.  Do you like it?"

When I get home, I look at my projects, solder another section of the BitX20a transceiver and think about a small, good QRP CW rig as my next project.

dit-dit ... rig hr elecraft K1 K1 ...

R on K1 ... fb fb ... u bld it ?  like it ?

that's if I can get my stiff aging fingers to solder those tiny parts, then there's the awkward dance of the fingers on the paddle but that's part of the challenge and fun.

de ah6gi/4
GM0WEZ

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2009, 09:04:16 AM »

I think there is a parallel between cw and sailboats.

Commercial users have largely (though not entirely) given up both sail and cw, for much the same reasons - they are slower than modern methods, and need highly skilled operators to make them work.

I don't see any sign of yachting being in decline, and I'm sure there will be plenty of morse on the bands years from now. The satisfactions of exercising a hard-won skill are just the same.
KB3SKU

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2009, 01:44:13 AM »

Hi im only a Technician at the moment,Passed on the 6th of march got callsign on the 12th.

I will be receiving my very first CW/Straight Key on June 3rd from Universal radio. Got the Black one here;

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/morse/3218.html

A few years back i wanted to get in to ham radio but because of the code i didnt try but now that im not forced/pressured in to CW just to get my license i am willing to learn it.

I cant wait either,i was listening on 40 meters and MAN! i cant figure out how you CW guys get thru that pile up or even make anything out lol. Sounds Fun!!  Smiley
W9JAB

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2009, 04:56:33 AM »

CW will be on air as long as I have may brass key and spark-gap radio!
JOE
W9JAB
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2009, 05:37:10 AM »

KB3SKU writes: "I cant wait either,i was listening on 40 meters and MAN! i cant figure out how you CW guys get thru that pile up or even make anything out lol."

What rig are you using to listen?

Two basic tricks of the CW op:

1) Turn off the AGC, turn up the AF gain, turn down the RF gain. Use as much AF gain and as little RF gain as you can. The S-meter won't work right but that's not a problem.

2) Use the sharp (400-500 Hz) crystal filter. If the rig doesn't have one, put one in. An SSB filter is just too wide for decent CW reception on HF except when the bands are practically empty.

KB3SKU: " Sounds Fun!! Smiley"

It is!

73 es WELCOME de Jim, N2EY
N2FQ

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2009, 07:09:05 AM »

Great answers have been posted so let me
add my lowly opinion.

CW, well you can't buy it off the shelf.
It's an ability that's learned and nurtured
resulting in a sense of satisfaction.

Not for everyone.

Fernando/n2fq
W9JAB

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2009, 07:27:55 AM »

CW, well you can't buy it off the shelf

shur you can!

http://www.radioworld.co.uk/~radio/catalog/mfj452-super-keyboard-p-4290.html

W9JAB
JOE
KB3SKU

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2009, 07:40:22 AM »

To answer N2EY im using a Yaesu FT-897D.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: