Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looks like I will be QRT for a week or so  (Read 5276 times)
AD9DX

Ignore
« on: March 13, 2013, 06:41:05 PM »

Well I am going to be off the air for a week or so.  I sold my radio and an old junker Collins 30L-1 and am going to be getting a K3.  The idea of being off the air for a week scares the hell out of me, but I can't wait to get the new rig. 

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 06:53:14 PM »

I think you'll like your K3.  I've had mine since 2008.  Be sure to download the manual from the Elecraft website, so you can learn as much about its operation while you're waiting for the radio.

Be sure to take advantage of macro's.  I use them every day for split operation and for engaging the CW APF.

Chuck  NI0C
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 07:01:09 PM »

I've been reading it like my wife read 50 shades of grey for the past two weeks.  I am glad that I am getting a real DX radio.  The Yaesu FT-2000D that I have now is decent, but it craps its pants on close in selectivity. 

The radio will be ordered with the KFL3A-2.8_2.7sw 8 pole filter, and KAT3 internal tuner.  My Alpha 76 does not have tuned inputs, so that is mandatory.  More accessories to follow.  The next options will be CW filters.  I know that the standard (wide) filter is narrower than the 2000D's narrowest filter, so things will be better right away. 

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 09:41:02 PM »

This will be the week that P5 is activated, sorry!
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 03:36:31 AM »

This will be the week that P5 is activated, sorry!

That is exactly what I am worried about.

My dad has an extra rig though so if worse comes to worse I can use his Yaesu 857. 

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 05:19:58 AM »

When it comes time to order a CW filter get the narrowest one they sell. I think it is 250 Hz and get the 8 pole filter.  You don't really have to load it with 5 filters as Elecraft would love you to do.

I never have used a Macro like Chuck.

I thought I was going to have to send my M2 Orion control box yesterday as it would only show error and wouldn't turn the rotor.  I fooled with the control settings for a few minutes and it started working again.  The technician at Orion was doing three things at once so although he tried to be as helpful as he could his company just does not allow him to spend the required time that a customer may need.
That's modern corporate America for you.

Chris/NU1O
VK3HJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 05:48:19 AM »

I'd be lost without radio for A WEEK!
Anyway, you'll enjoy your new K3 when it arrives.
I've really got too many radios - 5 online, two in boxes in the shed, one in the car. Battery backup so I can still operate when the power goes out. All my holidays seem to be DXpeditions.
I think I'm losing it...
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 06:04:47 AM »

I'd be lost without radio for A WEEK!
Anyway, you'll enjoy your new K3 when it arrives.
I've really got too many radios - 5 online, two in boxes in the shed, one in the car. Battery backup so I can still operate when the power goes out. All my holidays seem to be DXpeditions.
I think I'm losing it...

I can't afford to have multiple radios (yet). This will be the first new piece of equipment I have purchased. Kind of weird buying one NIB. If I like the K3 like I think I will, buy a KX3 when money permits.

Does anyone have experience with the hand mic Elecraft supplies? Peter W2IRT convinced me I want a mic even though I hate SSB.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 06:47:55 AM »

Does anyone have experience with the hand mic Elecraft supplies? Peter W2IRT convinced me I want a mic even though I hate SSB.

I could not imagine keying a microphone after getting used to VOX all these years. I use the Heil Proset which Elecraft sells on their website.  It comes with an Icom cartridge built in.

Chris/NU1O
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 07:07:00 AM »

The week will be worth the wait.  Did you get the dual receivers?
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 07:59:37 AM »

The week will be worth the wait.  Did you get the dual receivers?

No not yet... I don't have the resources to buy the thing configured exactly how I want.

With three little boys at home and my wife playing full time crowd control, I have to plan my purchases carefully. That is one of the big advantages of the K3 (other than the amazing receiver). I can get the quasi basic one to start, than build it as I have extra coin.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 08:00:57 AM »

I could not imagine keying a microphone after getting used to VOX all these years. I use the Heil Proset which Elecraft sells on their website.  It comes with an Icom cartridge built in.

Chris/NU1O

To be more specific, he told me to buy a microphone. I have always used hand mikes. Some day that will probably change.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 08:19:44 AM »

I guess to stay busy, I'll send out for a ton of cards while I wait.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 08:42:43 AM »

Good luck, Jon. I know the feeling when I sent my Pro3 for repair.

I'll probably get a K3 sooner or later. My only concern is how it performs on SSB with opinions being all over the place. Some say it's good, some say the rig is good for CW only...
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 08:59:02 AM »

Good luck, Jon. I know the feeling when I sent my Pro3 for repair.

I'll probably get a K3 sooner or later. My only concern is how it performs on SSB with opinions being all over the place. Some say it's good, some say the rig is good for CW only...

CW is my primary mode. My 2000D was a fine SSB mode.  If it takes some tweaking on SSB to have a really nice signal I am ok with it. The manual says it has a 6 band EQ and I am sure it will be fine once that gets dialed in. I think most DXpeditions use the radio without tweaking the audio EQ. And even if they did, the levels would only be set for one persons voice thus making it sound crappy for everyone else.

I guess I'll know soon enough.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: