Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hustler 6BTV Vertical with Bouncing SWR - Part 2  (Read 3240 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 02:56:31 PM »

While you want to clean connections, little is gained polishing the antenna overall as it actually increases its deterioration. As aluminum weathers it forms a oxide layer than slows further oxidation. Removing this oxide looses a few thousandths of aluminum and open door to further accelerated loose vs what you would see without polishing. Also while it might not be case here sometimes aluminum is coated with a very thin layer of pure aluminum (called Al Clad) that is very resistant to weathering, polishing will remove it. 

I think we specifically mean to clean the pipe joints with steel wool. Not the whole antenna. I would never remove oxide as it actually protects the antenna. Only remove it at the connecting joints.

I agree but LXP's post seems to suggest polishing whole antenna then waxing it.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2013, 05:05:20 PM »

Suggestions are just that.  Suggestions.  Suggestions aren't meant to be step-by-step instructions. 

Using steel wool on anything, rather it be shining aluminum contact points (only) to polishing a finish on a gunstock without cleaning up the steel particles should stick to  watching TV.

It's been my experience that using the green pads, sandpaper or Emery cloth has a tendency to scratch the aluminum which eventually causes more oxidation and intermittent connections. 
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: