Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alliance HD-73 vs Yaesu G450 rotors  (Read 970 times)
AF5CC

Ignore
« on: March 15, 2013, 07:58:02 PM »

Anyone have experience, good or bad, with either of these, or know how they compare?  I am looking at using one for a Cuscraft MA5B Yagi with a M squared 2M9SSB a few feet above it.

John AF5CC
K2DC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 03:47:25 AM »

John,

I've had good luck with an HD-73.  I used it first, mast mounted with a Mini Quad (Similar size to the MA-5B) and then later also mast mounted with an El rotor and long-boom yagis for 2M and 440.  I still have the rotor and controller, although it hasn't been in the air for almost 10 years now, but served me well.  I have limited experience with Yaesu toros, other than the elevation rotor I used with the boomers.  However, there are many, many threads here with horror stories about long term reliability and difficulty getting parts and service.  At least with the HD-73, Norm's or the Rotor Doctor can provide parts and repair.  Your mileage may vary.

Don, K2DC
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 06:58:29 AM »

Thanks for the reply.  I have seen the same thing.  I am leaning towards the HD-73 as well.

John AF5CC
K7MH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 08:45:43 PM »

They both have their problems. I have three busted HD-73 rotors in the garage. There is a plate inside that is made of pot metal and it will break at times from lateral torquing. The motor gears are mounted to it. There is no decent brake, just a couple small round cork pieces that collapse on each other to hold the rotor in place after turning. I would only buy a used one for parts unless it has been rebuilt by someone that does it a lot. Two of the three I have were bought at hamfests for parts. They were complete (and known to be broken) with the control boxes and I didn't pay more than $20 for either. One of these days I'll get one running out of the three but it is a very low priority.
A rebuilt Ham 3 (or newer) is a better choice and is what I have been using for years now.
Both myself and a friend had our HD-73's bust with just a Cushcraft A4 to turn. I would not leave an HD-73 all the way south nor approach where it stops when all the way south without creeping up on it slowly. Banging it against the stops probably isn't healthy.

With the mini and junior beams it may not be as much of a problem.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 08:48:35 PM by K7MH » Logged
VA3WXM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 10:22:47 AM »

I used a G-450A with my MA5B for almost 10 years and had no problems.  The rotor was tower-mounted on a plate and the mast was clamped in a Yaesu thrust bearing, so no vertical weight load on the rotor.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: