Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lets Play "Guess that DX-pedition" . . .  (Read 26153 times)
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: March 28, 2013, 10:57:09 AM »

I predict that there will be two models to activate these ultra rare "roaring 40's" entities:

1) Charter ships like the Marion Dufresne and bring 50 people along - maybe three teams for three islands. Because of the MD's "rotation" - each team might have to stay on the island for an entire month! I don't know if that is really practical - but its an idea.

2) Do what they did for ZL9HR. Smaller boat, smaller team of 10 - 12. Lower cost. But then, only the islands that have docks can be visited (Amsterdam and Crozet - maybe Kerguelin). Bouvet, South Sandwich, Heard need that helicopter!

"Two men in a sailboat" won't work to any of these IMHO.
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: March 28, 2013, 11:30:39 AM »

I thought Clipperton included scientific research work to help get additional grants.  For southern latitude islands, imagine the scientific research that could be done down there!  Global climate studies, sea current data collection, wildlife analysis.  With all the money being spent on studying climate change, how many observations are being made in the areas in the deep southern hemisphere?  Just sayin'

Mark Lunday, WD4ELG

And don't forget Astronomy!  You get a completely different view of the universe from down there.  It is my goal to make it to the Southern Hemisphere someday just so I can view the Large and Small Magellanic clouds, and Alpha Centari-the closest star to the sun!

John AF5CC
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: March 28, 2013, 11:32:06 AM »

Rich/KY6R, that would be incredible...3 DXpeditions to 3 most-wanted islands going on at one time?  Talk about adrenaline rush!

Talk about lack of sleep for all of us in the DXing community!

John AF5CC
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: March 29, 2013, 06:13:42 PM »

I guess it won't be P5 - here comes the little man himself:
http://thepeoplescube.com/peoples-blog/picture-of-north-korean-assault-landing-was-photoshopped-t10910.html#p157924

John AE5X
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: March 29, 2013, 07:04:12 PM »

I don't see anyway of toppling that government but from the inside.  South Korea and the NGOs should stop all food aid.  Only when the elite in Pyongyang and the military start going hungry will a group of soldiers knock-off that punk. He must consume 3 to 4 times the calories of a rural citizen in NK, not to mention all the top-shelf booze he drinks.

Chris/NU1O
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: March 29, 2013, 08:35:19 PM »

Are they all crazy there or just the leadership or lack of

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2301127/Stay-away-North-Korea--war-HOURS-AWAY-Kim-Jong-Uns-chilling-message-British-tour-boss.html
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #201 on: March 29, 2013, 08:53:14 PM »

Something tells me that granting access to a DX-pedition there is not high on anyone's priority list . . . .  Shocked
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 08:56:50 PM by KY6R » Logged
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: March 29, 2013, 09:22:40 PM »

First of all, the US is not about to attack North Korea. What would be the purpose unless it was retaliatory? All this posturing is for domestic consumption. They are trying to establish military credentials with the North Korean populace for a very young leader who never served in the military. Plus, when many go to bed hungry every night it's always good to have a bogey man and the US has always served that purpose in North Korea.

They aren't any crazier than the elites during the Soviet era. The top elite in that country are eating very well and taking advantage of all the benefits the regime offers for their family members.  In a dog-eat-dog world the top dog is doing well even if it means a crummy existence compared to the Western democracies.

Did you notice how much bigger that 20-something year old punk is than all his General's in the photo?  He looks to be twice the size of the other people in the photo.  It's a combination of the best food and booze available to an emperor.

There really should be a law prohibiting dupes like Dennis Rodman from going there and consuming more food in a week than the average North Korean eats in a few months.  There are many North Korean citizens in concentration camps that scavenge through animal feces for kernels of corn, yet Rodam ate and drank like a King.

Chris/NU1O
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: March 29, 2013, 09:29:38 PM »

Something tells me that granting access to a DX-pedition there is not high on anyone's priority list . . . .  Shocked

I have not worked North Korea but if it means more aid to that dictator and helping to prop up that terrible regime, I'd rather not work it until there was a regime change.

I seriously hope nobody is offering food or medical supplies to operate on the ham bands for a few days.

Chris/NU1O

N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #204 on: March 30, 2013, 12:48:29 PM »

He seems to be a puppet of the military at this point. But he has to show he's tough or else the people may open their eyes.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #205 on: March 30, 2013, 01:25:20 PM »

That travel agent looks like he has soiled his pants whereas the NK soldier looks very relaxed. What a dichotomy!

I don't think the PGA will soon be holding tournaments in Pyongyang.  I also don't understand why anybody would want to go on a staged tour of North Korea knowing the revenue just helps keep the regime stay in power but 9 of his 10 clients were from China. The tourist from England was a University student which explains a lot but the travel agent must have a few screws lose. I think the travel agent will be lucky to reach 40 if he continues to visit "hostile locations with the treat of war in the air."

Chris/NU1O
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: March 30, 2013, 07:28:07 PM »

Chris, my understanding of DPRK is what you stated: until the elite (and the army) get fed up, there will be no change.  But the sanctions are apparently aimed at the elite this time.

There is a great pic somewhere (photoshopped) of Kim Jong Il playing golf with Tiger Woods (maybe that was when Kim shot a record 45 under par?)

Dennis Rodman.  "The worm."  If Kim Jong Un only knew what a carircature Rodman is...

Since there were so many elites with radio licenses during the height of Soviet power, I am surprised DPRK does not do the same (were there any ham operators during Stalin's time?).  It would be seen as a weapon of propaganda to show a (false) sense of freedom and openness and normalcy.  But at this point, maybe Kim is not even trying to put up a good show anymore.
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: March 30, 2013, 07:33:06 PM »

Very interesting article.  Lenin encouraged radio.

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2009/07/radio-russia-1.html
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: March 30, 2013, 10:47:44 PM »

Chris, my understanding of DPRK is what you stated: until the elite (and the army) get fed up, there will be no change.  But the sanctions are apparently aimed at the elite this time.

Do you have any links to articles which state what the sanctions are?  From the looks of things I don't the sanctions are having much of an effect on the elite.  Food and medicine are fungible, like money, and it's my understanding Pyongyang gets the best of everything while the people in the rural areas live on a spartan diet. 

Until South Korea and the NGOs stop ALL food and medical aid to North Korea I don't think we will see a Palace Coup.  I know that sounds harsh but we are no longer dealing with a country that only has conventional weapons.  I don't believe they have the ability to launch an ICBM with a nuclear warhead that could hit the continental US but it's only a matter of time once they have the nuclear bomb. No other country on the planet has so much of their GDP going to the military.

I tried to bring up the link about Lenin and how he encouraged radio but that site will not come up.  I really don't think Amateur Radio is a high priority in North Korea and I don't think they care whether they pretend there are freedoms or not.  A few ham stations aren't going to fool anybody, anyway.  I think it is the most vile regime on the planet. Frankly, I wouldn't mind seeing NK come off the DXCC list until there is a regime change. 

Chris/NU1O
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #209 on: March 30, 2013, 11:05:16 PM »

it's my understanding Pyongyang gets the best of everything while the people in the rural areas live on a spartan diet. 

On one of the released photos I see an Apple iMac on the table.  Yeah, Kim Jong Un is working on his war plans using an American designed computer.

Jonathan W6GX
Pages: Prev 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: