Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 756pro 3 and led monitor ..has anyone  (Read 1093 times)
VE7REN

Ignore
« on: March 16, 2013, 02:35:59 PM »

i had a fellow ham tell me he seen a fellow ham with a pro 3 that had a mod done with a external 1/8 video jack installed so he could use a lcd/or led monitor like you can with the icom 7000...is there any info or pics on how a person could do this...

i think it would be nice to have a large 20 in monitor hooked up.. any suggestion... i cant see it being too hard,BUT,,havent heard of anyone doing this before..
N4RSS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 02:42:01 PM »

Go to the yahoo forum and you will get some info. It is not simple
VE7REN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 04:27:31 PM »

didnt find what i was lookin for.. someone must have done this..
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 06:09:49 AM »

You can connect anything to anything if you have enough money!  Now, is it practical?
Maybe for desktop use in might be cute, but I do not see this as improving the radio's performance or increasing contacts.  And it could introduce many possibilities for interference issues, as shielding and filtering in some monitors can be a problem.  Why not put your money into a better, higher antenna?  That can be a great investment!
73s.

-Mike.
WE1X

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 05:51:07 AM »

It has been done (reported somewhere on the Yahoo group).As I recall, however,  it requires surgery that is not for the faint of heart. While output to a larger monitor may be a bit easier on the eyes, I doubt you will see any improvement given sweep rates and scope resolution.
VE7REN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 08:22:58 AM »

didnt want it for performance improvement,just a little larger screen to use..well..worth asking anyways..thanks guys..
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 10:04:30 AM »

REN:  As hams, quite often we do things that really doesn't "improve" anything but simply because we either want to or because it's just cool.

I've also found that the term "faint of heart" is a relative term.  What is faint of heart for some is a piece of cake for another.

I suggest you continue researching this until you find out for yourself and then make a determination on rather it's "worth it."  When you do find a source of information don't just glance at it or blow it off, study it. 

What initially looks like a big deal becomes less so after some objective study.  If nothing else you've learned something.  Maybe not much, but something. 

Al - K8AXW
K7MH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 11:11:47 AM »

In the IC-7600 user group some have brought out the spectrum scope to an external monitor but that is all. It is not terribly hard from what I have read but don't think it is worth the effort and only offers limited "eye candy".
Unlike the IC-7000, there is no composite video output with the Pro 3 or 7600. I have not heard of anyone bringing out the entire display and would be surprised if anyone has. The Pro 3 has a non standard display, the 7600 is QVGA while the 7700 and 7800 are VGA and have ports for video output. Also, the Pro3 has 320x240 resolution while the 7700/7800 has 800x400.
I don't think 320x200 would look very pleasant on a large monitor like 800x400 would.
The caveat of course is that someone can really screw up a very good rig trying to do these things if they don't know what they are doing. The risk is their choice of course.
I would join the 756 Pro 3 user group and ask about it there to get a more definitive answer about it.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 11:29:20 AM by K7MH » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: