Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did you like your assigned callsign when you first got a license?  (Read 12063 times)
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2015, 06:28:12 AM »

Yes of course and honestly I couldn't care less.  They call them vanity call signs because those who pay for them are vane.  I am against providing any additonal monies to the government beyond what they already steal from me.

Woah.... wait a minute.....hold on there, son....not everyone who wants a vanity call sign is vain......in fact, I personally think the term vanity call sigh should be changed to personal call sign.....to avoid such a stereotype......as for the government???...man...this guy is worse than me.......holy cow.......those who pay for them are vain???.....did you ever stop to think that maybe some of us just wanted a shorter call sign or wanted to honor an SK (who was a friend or family member)Huh......Jeez, man...lighten up!...... Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked.....

V
K3NRX
WW6BBB

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2015, 10:17:14 AM »

Yes of course and honestly I couldn't care less.  They call them vanity call signs because those who pay for them are vane.  I am against providing any additonal monies to the government beyond what they already steal from me.

Woah.... wait a minute.....hold on there, son....not everyone who wants a vanity call sign is vain......in fact, I personally think the term vanity call sigh should be changed to personal call sign.....to avoid such a stereotype......as for the government???...man...this guy is worse than me.......holy cow.......those who pay for them are vain???.....did you ever stop to think that maybe some of us just wanted a shorter call sign or wanted to honor an SK (who was a friend or family member)Huh......Jeez, man...lighten up!...... Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked.....

V
K3NRX

Ditto, K3NRX. Good point on the "personal" call sign moniker. I changed mine because I hated my issued one. Nothing vain about it. Others changed for their own reasons. And no, the initials of my name are not 'BBB'.

For clarification, an excuse is when you don't have a reason.

N6BIZ

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2015, 06:16:48 PM »

N6-BIZ...
WHO WOULDNT!!!
W5FRR

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2015, 07:51:21 PM »

V
K3NRX

Ditto, K3NRX. Good point on the "personal" call sign moniker. I changed mine because I hated my issued one. Nothing vain about it. Others changed for their own reasons. And no, the initials of my name are not 'BBB'.

Well . . . "vanity" or not, the first thing I did after I hit the ULS was request a "vanity" call.  I wanted a call that would reflect my ranch and brand.  I'm proud and wanted no question about who I was or where I'm from!

W5FRR - The Voice of Frontier Ranger Ranch!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 07:53:47 PM by W5FRR » Logged

Dave
W5FRR - The Voice of Frontier Ranger Ranch!
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2015, 07:38:02 AM »

V
K3NRX
[/quote]

If you don't like the issued call, you can request another sequential call sign, so there goes that "reason".

[/quote]
W9KEY

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2015, 07:38:42 AM »

If you don't like the issued call, you can request another sequential call sign, so there goes that "reason".

not so fast -> the odds that you will like the subsequent callsign you are issued go up TREMENDOUSLY when you choose it yourself  Wink
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2015, 11:54:50 AM »

not so fast -> the odds that you will like the subsequent callsign you are issued go up TREMENDOUSLY when you choose it yourself  Wink

Very true, and witty I might add.

I just don't get why some people feel the need to justify why they chose a vanity call, with excuses or "reasons", it's a personal choice to apply for a vanity call, so stand behind your choice instead of justifying it to others.
W9KEY

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2015, 02:41:31 PM »

Quote from: SOFAR

Quote from: W9KEY

Quote from: SOFAR
Very true, and witty I might add.

I just don't get why some people feel the need to justify why they chose a vanity call, with excuses or "reasons", it's a personal choice to apply for a vanity call, so stand behind your choice instead of justifying it to others.

maybe it is the negative connotation of the word 'vanity' which creates some dissonance? anyone brought up with Puritan tendencies would find it wrong to be vane without an excuse or a reason.

since it does not necessarily involve any special vanity to opt for a 'vanity' callsign, perhaps 'personalized' would be less problematic?

K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2015, 09:36:51 AM »

I don't know... semantics... and it could be putting lipstick on a pig to simply make the change from vanity to personal, etc.
W9KEY

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2015, 09:04:21 PM »

I don't know... semantics... and it could be putting lipstick on a pig to simply make the change from vanity to personal, etc.

well, maybe i am just mincing words, but calling it a vanity call in the first place seems like putting lipstick on a ham.  Maybe calling it a personalized call would be like taking the lipstick off ...   Smiley
WW6BBB

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2015, 07:57:47 PM »

Exactly. And the next sequential one could be worse than the original.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: