Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: KC4TBZ. Where is this station?  (Read 9559 times)
KJ6RGY

Ignore
« on: March 16, 2013, 03:16:04 PM »

I've caught this call sign calling CQ on 28.425 about 4 or 5 days in a row and the call is not listed as valid in any database.
I'm listening to a strong signal in California right now.
I am somewhat of a newb at this so what am I missing?
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 03:47:12 PM »

This is either a new license not yet in the data base, or a bootleg bogus call sign.
KJ4FEL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 05:28:18 PM »

I suspect that you did not copy the call sign correctly.

You probably heard KC4TVZ who is notorious on 10M, usually on 28.425 calling for 10-10 Club members and only 10-10 Club members.
KJ6RGY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 05:20:51 AM »

Thanks for the replies.
Dang it. I could have sworn I was hearing tango-baker-zulu.
While I could have misheard his call sign I heard nothing about a 10-10 club either.
KX8N

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 10:41:13 AM »

Thanks for the replies.
Dang it. I could have sworn I was hearing tango-baker-zulu.
While I could have misheard his call sign I heard nothing about a 10-10 club either.

Judging from a Google search of the call, someone is DEFINITELY actively using KC4TBZ, as recently as this year. But it hasn't been a valid call since 1993 when the original holder changed his call.

Editing to add this link: http://dxfor.me/?_s=KC4TBZ. It suggests someone is using it from Kentucky, 10 meters only, and DX only (or mainly). It would be interesting if someone could track them down, because this person is definitely bootlegging the call.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 10:50:00 AM by KX8N » Logged
W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 11:37:10 AM »

A search of cluster spots says he is using the name Todd and the city of Atlanta - BUT one spot has grid coordinates and lists his as EM83XM, which is just north of Augusta GA, not Kentucky.  Too many inconsistencies - a pirate for sure.

Clint - W5CPT - 
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 01:33:26 PM »

Hey, come on guys! Just because GOOGLE has hits on KC4TBZ doesn't mean that he's saying TBZ on the air. It just means that many people are hearing TBZ and entering it on line.

- KC4TVZ is licensed to someone named Todd.
- He lives in a suburb of Atlanta.
- Without knowing what phonetics (if any) he is using, "V" and "B" could be easily confused.
- All but one of the posters on dxfor.me have callsigns from countries that are typically non-native English speakers.
- A random sampling of the callsigns on the dxfor.me listing, when entered into KC4TVZ's online log search (on QRZ) show hits.

I think it's pretty clear that for whatever reason, many hams are mis-logging KC4TVZ as TBZ.
NA6M
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 02:11:19 PM »

Uh oh.

http://www.ten-ten.org/KC4TVZ_motion.pdf
KK6GMN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 10:54:05 AM »

That call is being blasted out almost constantly on 10m at 28.425.  It sounds automated to me.  I treat it as a beacon. I have yet to hear anyone respond to it and I have listed for 15-20 minutes a few times while working on something else.  I eventually consulted the wide world of the webs and found the PDF noted by NA6M.  Amazing.

-SeanM
KK6GMN

"No man is a failure...
...who has friends." --Clarence

Weather at my shack
http://www.pegnsean.net/~sean/weather/wx.htm
N0AXE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 11:45:14 AM »

I worked the KC4TVZ contact twice in the last two weeks here in Colorado. He doesn't give you a lot of time to reply while he is calling CQ. I got a 55 report from him which amazed me. I was using a Galaxy dx94 with a little 4 foot Wilson at the times. He does a quick report then goes back to calling CQ. Todd was never rude to me but I was hoping for more chat when the contact was made to get a feel for how my radio was sounding. Can't wait to get a better radio.\
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: