Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IDIOM PRESS - SCAF-1 - No Response to E-Mails / Phone Calls  (Read 8981 times)
K3JLS

Ignore
« on: March 16, 2013, 08:07:30 PM »

About 10 days ago I placed an internet order for an SCAF-1 from Idiom Press.  It looks like a nice device that will help with the intermittent power line noise and high frequency hiss on my IC-746.  Shortly after I placed the order, I received a confirmation.

I was expecting to receive some form of shipping confirmation (like a USPS tracking number) which is the way that most reputable outfits operate.  Nothing was forthcoming.

The bottom line is that I've made 4 telephone inquiries (left messages) and sent 4 email messages to which I have yet to receive a reply.  What really disturbs me is that this company seems to have a rather poor track record when it comes to shipping and telephone type technical assistance.  I've seen similar complaints that were made over 10 years ago.  What gives with these guys???

At this point, all I want is for them to tell me precisely when this thing will ship.  That's a very reasonable request.  Once I know this, I can determine whether I want to wait or look for an alternative elsewhere.

Some of you are bound to say that this is the way that some small operators work to which I would respond 'horsefeathers'. 

To me, it's just rude and inconsiderate behavior.

Joe - K3JLS
AF7S

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 11:08:41 PM »

Similar problem.  Ordered one 4 weeks ago tomorrow.  Still haven't received it, nor can I get any response to my email inquiries.

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 06:29:21 AM »

....Some of you are bound to say that this is the way that some small operators work to which I would respond 'horsefeathers'.  

To me, it's just rude and inconsiderate behavior.

Yes, it is rude and inconsiderate, but nevertheless, some small businesses do do it.  I've dealt with businesses that send an acknowledgement, and the next thing received is the item ordered!  Fortunately for myself, it wasn't weeks later that the item arrived.

Could be that there is a backlog of orders--or the item is being built.  Unfortunately, your only recourse is to cancel and look elsewhere.
K3JLS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 08:01:04 AM »

Yes, I'm going to cancel and look elsewhere. 

My main concern is that this guy (who has my credit card number) will just ship the unit whenever he is feel like it and I'll get stuck with a restocking fee when I attempt to return it.  Frankly, I don't need that kind of aggravation.

I don't think it's expecting too much for any supplier - cottage industry or not - to reply promptly to customer inquiries.

It's clear to me at this point that he neither acknowledges his emails nor returns customer telephone calls.

What assurance then do I have that he will honor a cancellation request???

On another post, someone had listed 'Bob's' telephone number.  I called the number this morning (probably too early) and the fellow who answered said his name was Bob, but that he didn't own Idiom Press.............odd coincidence?

Joe - K3JLS
N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 08:37:44 AM »

Contact your credit card issuer.  See if Idiom Press has put their charge through to your account.  If they have, see if you can get it reversed.  You may have to write a letter, but it's worth the try.

If you haven't been charged yet, see if your credit card will block the charge.

IF THEY DON'T GET PAID, THEY WON'T SHIP!

N9LCD
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 08:40:36 AM »

On another post, someone had listed 'Bob's' telephone number.  I called the number this morning (probably too early) and the fellow who answered said his name was Bob, but that he didn't own Idiom Press.............odd coincidence?

You probably reached BOB W9KNI who started Idiom about 25 years ago.  Idiom's current owner last I knew was son ROB, W7GH. Bob transferred the company to his son a few years ago. Even though the Idiom site plays off KNI's "fame as a DXer" Dad disavows the connection if you call him about his son's bad service.

http://www.idiompress.com/about.html

Poor service and empty promises were my experience too when I bought a keyer from Idiom several years ago. Rob was always going to "ship next week for sure." You'll probably get your purchase eventually. Took me months, as I recall.
K3JLS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 08:48:46 AM »

Gentlemen - thank you!

Would either of you happen to have a schematic / assembly manual for the SCAF-1 that you could mail / fax me? 

This looks like an excellent design and I can probably have one up and running in short order, even if I have to get my own P/C board fabricated, which I've done for several projects (see www.k3jls.net).

Thanks - Joe - K3JLS
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 09:01:06 AM »

Joe, SCAF's have been around for ages. Plenty of articles have been written about building them.

Here's a cheap nifty one targeting QRP radios:
http://newenglandqrp.org/nescaf
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 04:18:46 AM »

As 'LCD said, contact your credit card and have any charges from Idiom Press blocked.  At the same time, notify Idiom Press that you want the order cancelled and that he will not be able to charge your credit card, that the charge will be refused.  Keep copies of the notifications made and the dates that they were made on.  I doubt you'll hear from them again, but if you do, you'll be able to tell 'em where to go!
K3JLS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 04:44:40 AM »

K1CJS,

I sent them an email yesterday informing them that I was cancelling the order and that I would 'take action' if they charged my card somehow shipped this to me in the future.  Unfortunately, here's no way that I can block any charges.

Thanks - Joe
AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 12:34:22 PM »

K1CJS,

I sent them an email yesterday informing them that I was cancelling the order and that I would 'take action' if they charged my card somehow shipped this to me in the future.  Unfortunately, here's no way that I can block any charges.

Thanks - Joe

Perhaps you can have the card declared "lost" and have the credit card issue you a new card with a new account number.
K3JLS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 02:39:22 PM »

KJ6AMF -

Thanks for the suggestion.  I sent them 2 e-mails indicating my cancellation request and hopefully that will be sufficient.

If not, there are other 'remedies'.

73's - Joe
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 01:40:08 PM »

Yeah, some cards can be like that.  Anyway, best of luck.  73!
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2013, 06:56:08 PM »

I think sometimes we expect Ham Radio Outlet type attention from folks selling very useful devices which they do as a part time business.  Without companies like Idiom this hobby would be lacking some very useful gear.   I have one of their keyers, built it from a kit, and it does everything I expected.  I check their product listing on a regular basis to see if they have a new product in which I might be interested. 
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 07:24:43 AM »

I think sometimes we expect Ham Radio Outlet type attention from folks selling very useful devices which they do as a part time business.  Without companies like Idiom this hobby would be lacking some very useful gear....

A lack of attention is very different than a first rate type "answer within minutes" that can sometimes be had from the larger dealers.  A simple acknowledgement, and possibly a quick answer--even a coup[le of days after the e-mail was sent--is all this person seems to be wanting.  All he got was silence.....
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: