Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MFJ repair services--cost and speed?  (Read 5695 times)
AC4RD

Ignore
« on: March 17, 2013, 05:14:23 AM »

After several years of normal use, my MFJ 927 auto-tuner is broken.  For a while, taking it apart and running the "full reset" procedure worked, but this time nothing helps.  I'm wondering if it's worth shipping it back to MFJ, versus just getting another tuner.

I'd be interested in hearing from people who have used MFJ's repair service, especially for a similar autotuner.  How long did the repair take?  How much did it cost?  Did the unit work normally afterwards?   Thanks in advance.   --ken
W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 05:56:05 AM »

I recently sent in a memory keyer (MFJ-495) and the receipt I got back when it arrived in MS said 4 weeks.  At 4 weeks I called and spoke to a tech (multiple trys to get through) and he said a couple more weeks.  He took my Credit Card # and it was two more weeks to my door.

They have a Flat Rate Labor charge for anything under an hour of $65 - add parts to that for bill.  I don't know what their multi-hour rate is if they have one.

The keyer did work fine when it was returned.

Clint - W5CPT -
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 06:02:30 AM »

I recently sent in a memory keyer (MFJ-495) ...

Thanks, Clint!  That's exactly the sort of information I wanted--helps me decide whether to send this one in, or buy something else and then see if I can "fiddle and poke" the other one back to life one of these days.  :-)  Thanks!  --ken
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 10:46:52 AM »

THis probably doesn't belong in this thread, but I'll say it anyway, just in case it helps somebody else--though it's not likely anybody else will be this boneheaded.

I've had that autotuner up and down several times; it would work occasionally, then stop working.  Take it down, take it apart, run the reset procedures a few times, it passes its self-test fine ... but then it doesn't work when it goes back up.  For a few weeks, it would work just for a few minutes or hours.    Then starting yesterday, it never worked even intermittently, it was dead on all bands.

I was totally stumped and was getting ready just to buy a new autotuner, when it occurred to me to try replacing the coaxial cables and using a different bulkhead passthrough, through the wall.  Now it's working fine.  It *might* be coincidence, but I don't think so; I think it was either a intermittent chunk of coax or an intermittent bulkhead passthrough.

I guess I'm glad I tried it, but I sure feel stupid for not thinking of it earlier.  :-/
W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 12:00:02 PM »

I always try to isolate the component that I think is bad.  Especially if it is the most expensive piece in the string.  I taught electronic repair in the military for years and used the Gozinta-Gozouta system - If a unit has a good gozinta (input) and a bad gozouta (output) the piece is faulty.  But to prove that you must verify the gozinta and the gozouta with known good parameters. 

All of us at one time or another have taken something out of a circuit and checked it and it checked good and when we put it back in circuit it worked fine.  You will never know if it was just a loose connector or built up corrosion someplace you did not notice or something else even more obscure. 

Glad you are up and running.

Clint - W5CPT -
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 11:30:24 AM »

AC4RD:

I think most hams have made the mistake of jumping to the complex problems (my autotuner's at fault) first before checking the basics (coax connector)! I know I have.

After getting to know the MFJ folks in the repair area, I suspect that at least one or two of the "junk" comments could be due to this. Not all but a few! I know they get returns and just cannot replicate the reported symptoms.

Glad it was a "cheap" solution...

Frank
K4FMH

THis probably doesn't belong in this thread, but I'll say it anyway, just in case it helps somebody else--though it's not likely anybody else will be this boneheaded.

I've had that autotuner up and down several times; it would work occasionally, then stop working.  Take it down, take it apart, run the reset procedures a few times, it passes its self-test fine ... but then it doesn't work when it goes back up.  For a few weeks, it would work just for a few minutes or hours.    Then starting yesterday, it never worked even intermittently, it was dead on all bands.

I was totally stumped and was getting ready just to buy a new autotuner, when it occurred to me to try replacing the coaxial cables and using a different bulkhead passthrough, through the wall.  Now it's working fine.  It *might* be coincidence, but I don't think so; I think it was either a intermittent chunk of coax or an intermittent bulkhead passthrough.

I guess I'm glad I tried it, but I sure feel stupid for not thinking of it earlier.  :-/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: