Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good Ant for 40/80 with 160 Ant on Tower  (Read 1246 times)
N7RST

Ignore
« on: March 17, 2013, 12:36:58 PM »

I run a 160/40 sloper on my tower and works pretty much okay.  I havean 80 meter sloper but would like the benefit of being able to really hear better stateside also.  So, contemplating another antenna mounted on same tower with the 160/40 sloper.  Problem is, I tried an OCF and got terrible interaction, and RF into the shack.  Supposedly, the remote ant switch is to ground the unused antennas. 

So, asking out there...what do some of you all run with good success stateside and DX for 80 withi a 160/40 wire antenna already on tower?  I even tried a remote relay to "float" the sloper when not in use to no avail.
K2DC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 03:13:55 AM »

I have an Alpha Delta DX-A for 40/80/160M mounted on my tower at about 58' and I hear just fine stateside.  Unless your 80M sloper is mounted much higher (100' or more), you're not going to raise the take off angle much to do better stateside.

Don, K2DC

K3VAT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 05:40:24 PM »

I run a 160/40 sloper on my tower and works pretty much okay.  I havean 80 meter sloper but would like the benefit of being able to really hear better stateside also.  So, contemplating another antenna mounted on same tower with the 160/40 sloper.  Problem is, I tried an OCF and got terrible interaction, and RF into the shack.  Supposedly, the remote ant switch is to ground the unused antennas. 

So, asking out there...what do some of you all run with good success stateside and DX for 80 withi a 160/40 wire antenna already on tower?  I even tried a remote relay to "float" the sloper when not in use to no avail.

First, we need to know a bit more about your setup:
1. what type of tower are you currently using? its height? is it grounded?
2. are you using RF chokes on your slopers/OCFs?  If not, that could be part of the problem.
3. when you say, "... have terrible interaction..." what exactly does this mean, what kind of interaction (SWR variations?)
4. how long is the 160/40M? Is this a trap version on 40M?  At what height does it connect to the tower?

73, Rich, K3VAT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: