Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking For A Simple To Operate 2 Meter HT & Mobile Rig.  (Read 11275 times)
K7SON

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2013, 07:27:48 PM »

Can't beat a Yaesu FT-250r for 2M only. Simple (even repeater entries after the first one or two you enter) and I think you can find them new for $99. Similar menu on the FT-1900/2900 mobiles, reliable, power to spare and cheap. I have other rigs, but these are the simple no frills models and not one has ever acted up..
CAMR

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2013, 07:50:52 PM »

Whatever you do, don't even consider an icom v8000 mobile. Easier to pick a bank vault lock than program one of these. I have been told by several experienced operators who say to not even try programming one without programming software.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2013, 05:08:17 AM »

Whatever you do, don't even consider an icom v8000 mobile. Easier to pick a bank vault lock than program one of these. I have been told by several experienced operators who say to not even try programming one without programming software.

Agreed that they're hard to program--but the upside to that is that you can actually name the repeater instead of just seeing the frequency of it.

Once you DO get it set up, however, the radio is hard to beat.  Plenty of power and it doesn't heat up like some of the other 2 meter rigs because of its massive heatsink.  I wouldn't recommend it to a beginner ham, but to someone who either gets the programming cable and software or who is used to programming Icom products, the V8000 is great!

It's like I said in other threads where recommendations for a rig are asked for--it's personal preference.
KF7VXA

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2013, 07:37:50 AM »

It sounds like the programming is an issue to you.

The RT programming software at $50.00 makes programming so easy it should be against the law.

A Yaesu FT-60 is a tough radio, duel band and easy to use. Get the RT programming software and program the radio as you want it. Changing freqs is easy as can be as is adding a bunch of freqs for an area where you may be traveling to.

With this combo, you can easily change anything that has to do with the radio with just some mouse clicks and inputting numbers.

This way you are getting an up to date radio, accessories are reasonable and available.
For moble use, a good antenna on your vehicle and an adapter and your all set. I use the plug in cigarette lighter adapter if I'm on the road for a while and don't feel like putting my larger radio in the vehicle. An external speaker in a vehicle is almost manditory or else a speaker/mike kept close so you can hear the audio.

Also get one of the aftermarket antennas for the radio. The stock antennas are marginal at best.

John
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: