Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: USB CW interface  (Read 2666 times)
AF5CC

Ignore
« on: March 19, 2013, 06:58:59 AM »

Is there a simple, inexpensive interface to go between a USB port and the CW jack on a radio to allow contest logging programs like N1MM and NA to be used as a memory keyer?

John AF5CC
K6JH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 02:17:48 PM »

Is a $79 WKUSB-HV kit too expensive?
http://www.k1el.com/
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/5915

Jim K6JH
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 10:20:58 PM »

I have the USB Winkeyer -- it's the "Cadillac" solution to the problem.  And it's not hard to put together, if you can solder.  No surface-mount soldering is required.

You can get a USB-to-serial adapter, and a kit from W3YY:

http://www.w3yy.com/fsk.htm

If you're using Windows 7 (or 8, I suspect), get an adapter based on the FTDI chip, not a Prolific chip.  Check eBay for sources.

Now, somebody will supply a source for the single-transistor circuit that substitutes for the W3YY kit . . .

.            Charles
KC0W

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 07:52:17 AM »

Another vote for Winkeyer USB.

I have been using it with N1MM & Logger32 for the past few years now. After a minor installation problem, (conflicting ports) it has been spitting out the dits & dahs without any hiccups at all.

Tom KC├śW   
N2IW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 07:38:11 AM »

WinKey USB is the best, but if you want a more affordable solution, a USB-RS232 adapter and a simple circuit with only one transistor and one resistor works just fine, I build one myself and have used it for several months with no problems at all!

With WinKey you can send CW from PC/MAC or a paddle, and the speed is the same, you can do that with the simple circuit I mentioned above but the speed is set separately and most of the time they are not the same, sometimes when I first send from PC/MAC then use paddle to send something else, the other station will get confused because they think that's another station! HIHI. So I'm considering build a WinKey someday. 
W1FBV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 04:33:58 PM »

Look at the radio arena website - radioarena.co.uk.  For years, I have used one of his interface cables which cost less than 25USD (16GBP).  It needs a Prolific driver which is a little tricky because the driver from the Prolific website doesn't work with Windows 7.  I downloaded a Vista driver after a little research and searching the web.  It works great. I use the CWType software.
Jim, W1FBV
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: