Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's practical ext tuner for Yeasu ft 1000?  (Read 900 times)
WB4RG

Ignore
« on: March 19, 2013, 10:41:22 AM »

Last week I bought a like new Yaesu FT1000-D and it won't tune to 80/40 meters with the built-in tuner. What tuner should I buy? My antenna is a G5RV and it has worked great with my Kenwood TS450 and tunes on 80/40 meters with the Kenwood built-in tuner.

Would appreciate suggestions.

Don
WB4RG
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 01:59:37 PM »

Last week I bought a like new Yaesu FT1000-D and it won't tune to 80/40 meters with the built-in tuner. What tuner should I buy? My antenna is a G5RV and it has worked great with my Kenwood TS450 and tunes on 80/40 meters with the Kenwood built-in tuner.

Don
WB4RG

Don my personal thoughts on this matter are as follows. Buy a 1500 watt tuner. For two reasons.

1. You will own a tuner than can handle the legal limit if you decide to add an amp to your station.

2. Less chance of arcing the tuner, as it will handle higher voltage.

I own a Palstar AT1500, bought it used and it works great. Another good tuner is the older Dentron legal limit tuners, those things are tanks.

Personally I would stay away from the MFJ models but lots of hams use them.

You could also go with an LDG AT-600Pro, which will handle 600 watts PEP and is an autotuner if you want to go that route. I have an LDG AT-200Pro which I have in line right out of the radio. I use it when I am operating digital modes. I have a FT-950, the internal tuner handles most of the higher SWR's on my antennas. But the external tuner helps with the receive side. I use the LDG as it is easier switching bands and tuning than doing it manually on the Palstar. I use the Palstar when I run my AL-80A. But I don't need it in line with most of my antennas.
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 02:55:57 PM »

the outer limit for the Yaesu internal tuners are around 3:1 SWR. So that means the G5RV is beyond that, probably WAY beyond. You might want to consider a more efficient antenna for the band(s) of interest. You will be amazed at the difference.
If not, that palstar that was recently reviewed in QST worked as advertized, blowing MFJ competitor away!
I have, but don't use ( my antennas do not exceed 2:1 VSWR), a Murch 2000 which is pretty well constructed except for the the inductor position indicator ,which is a bit hokey, but works.
It has pretty good reviews, and with Ham fest season upon us, you may be able to pick one up on the cheap as I did.

WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 05:34:54 PM »

The TS-450 has a pretty good built-in tuner.  I've been impressed with mine.

Just about any sort of external tuner will work, especially the manual ones.
The only aspects that may be rig dependent are:

(1) the tuner has to be rated for the output power.  Generally this is only an
issue when you want to run >200W.

(2) some autotuners may be designed to work with the internal circuitry of
a specific brand of rig.  Generally in this case there are options for other
rigs, and many autotuners don't require any special interface at all.

Otherwise, most manual tuners work well enough.  Some of the older ones
using the "Ultimate Transmatch" circuit aren't quite as efficient as those
using a plain "T" network, though often it doesn't matter.  Some tuners
that are designed to match a specific product line may not have the wide
range of the generic ones, but most generic tuners will work.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 06:00:46 PM »

1500 watt MANUAL tuner.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
VE3WMB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 08:38:55 PM »

I have a double-sized G5RV (204 ft long) and I tune it with a LDG AT-100 PRO. I have no trouble
matching the antenna on 160m through 10m.

I have been using LDG autotuners since they produced their first tuners and they work well
and they are quite reliable.

Michael VE3WMB

Don
WB4RG
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: