Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Well am I done??  (Read 9051 times)
VA3KBC

Ignore
« on: March 20, 2013, 05:19:36 PM »

It's been almost a year since getting my license and I have been adding to my shack.
TS590S, TS830S, Clipperton L, Ameritron AL811L, DX Engineering 8 antenna switch, Palstar AL1500 tuner, CN-801 power/swr meter, Ameritron ARB704, ATP-Tuning Pulser, and FT1900 2 meter radio.
I think....I have every thing in place now!! Smiley
The TS830s  and Clipperton L is dedicated to 160 meter band.
The TS590s and Ameritron 811 is for all the other bands.

Shack pictures
VA3CDG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 07:27:34 PM »

Clock in UTC.
Logbook(s).
Dummyload.
Field strength meter.
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 07:27:58 PM »

What about the antennas???  You will need some of those too!!
W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 10:07:40 PM »

If you are a Ham you are NEVER done.

Clint - W5CPT -
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 06:33:01 AM »

If you are a Ham you are NEVER done.

Exactly.  There is ALWAYS some thing or way that you'll be improving your station.  Wait until you see a rig that you like better--you'll be off to the trading block to get it!
WB7TDG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 09:17:34 AM »

Nope...never done...been there for over 35 years and still doing that!!
Best thing you can do is probably what you are doing now!
AJ3O

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 09:42:48 AM »

1. Good quality headphones.

2.Quality microphone AND microphone mount. The mount should be one of the multi-position stands so that you can move it out of the way for more room when going to CW. That's right, you have TWO radios, make it one mic/stand for each radio.

3.Good CW keyer, eh, a cheap one first, you WILL buy a few more in time.

4.A fairly new computer with good logging software, digital software, and good sound cards.

5.TWO monitors to display as much as possible while using said logging software/digital software and still have display room left for spotting sites and email.

6. Another power supply for backup in a pinch or for that new/used dual band vhf/uhf rig(you WILL be getting one, believe me). Does not matter if you ever use it, hams buy stuff.

7. A good atomic dual display clock. These set the time automatically based on the signal from N.I.S.T. You set one side to local, the other for UTC.

8. A multimeter for quick tests for shorts/continuity on various equipment and antenna leads.

9. An antenna analyzer to get more than just the SWR. These help with "tuning" your "tuner" before you even send a signal out.

10. Soldering iron and soldering wick and solder.

11. Good ground bus behind the station equipment.

12. There is ALWAYS something that you can do for your station/house grounding to constantly improve it.

13. A common entrance point into the shack from outside, preferably an approved electrical box outside with enough room for additions.

14. Inside the box at the entrance, static drains, lighting protection connectors, another common ground bus inside this box and more room for other things you will see or read about that will make you say "I just HAVE to add that!".

15. Quality coax, ladder line and LOTS of wire(insulated and bare).

16. Ununs, baluns, splitters, banana connectors/plugs, insulators, misc support rope.

17. A drawer full of n-type, pl-259, 3/8x24, and other misc antenna connectors. These are for those midnight runs outside/inside to fix a connector in the middle of a contest/special event.

18. If you have trees, you are ahead of the game, string up some wire dipoles and verticals and slopers. No trees, get your first artificial tree(tower).

19. Another tower.

20. Beam, quad, hex, shunt fed vertical antennas for said tower/s.

21. MORE grounding for said towers.

22. Good time to try out a delta loop or horizontal loop. You did get that wire previously mentioned, right?

UGHHH, forgot and not going to renumber....... A good roomy desk for the shack with cork board right over the operating station to put up quick notes and reminders.

23. You got the point now right? Hi hi You are NEVER done. You are a HAM now, it won't be long before the bug totally gets you.

Have fun and enjoy the hobby. The point being is you really don't need all of the above, you will want it and more, but only you can keep it as simple or complex as you want. Just remember, keep it SAFE and follow the rules, and most importantly, it is a hobby, treat it as such and the fun will never fade.

Joe / AJ3O
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 12:12:24 PM »

2.Quality microphone AND microphone mount. The mount should be one of the multi-position stands so that you can move it out of the way for more room when going to CW. That's right, you have TWO radios, make it one mic/stand for each radio.

Or get a headset like the Heil Pro Set and kill two birds with one stone. When you want to operate CW, just flip the microphone up out of the way.
VA3KBC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 04:10:54 PM »

Grin Grin

Well I have most of what has been suggested...just wanted to say I'm having a blast and have made many new friends!!
Have the towers and dipoles up as well.

http://www.qrz.com/db/VA3KBC
W5LZ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 04:02:10 AM »

Are you done?  I doubt it, most of us never are.  If you can't think of something you just 'gotta have' right now, you will later.  There will always be that one little annoying thingy that you forgot, or just didn't think of, you know?
 - Paul

(How about some nice lace doilies?  Maybe a pretty picture or two, or a huge map, or a coffee warmer!)

W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 08:01:22 AM »

Actually being done is the least desirable ambition of all hams,for when you really are some wise guy comes along and post your name and call letters all over the internet with the derogatory initials of (SK) beside it.
VE3TMT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 06:27:33 AM »

Congrats and welcome to the hobby. Nice looking QRZ page.

VE3TMT (Teresa, Max and Tara)

My wife, me and my daughter. I was licensed in 1990, my son Shea was born in 1992. If Industry Canada ever grants 4 letter suffixes, VE3TMTS?Huh

VA3KBC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 04:09:58 PM »

Looks like we were both fortunate to get the call signs we requested.  Smiley Smiley
W7KKK

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 09:10:07 AM »

Since I got back on the air some 11 years ago (after serving time as a Novice in the mid 1970s) I have bought and sold some 10 radios, some new and many used to try them out.
It's been fun to see the differences and improvements over the years.
If you are like the rest of us you are never done.
Just keep that wallet open OM.
KD4TVB

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 01:37:01 PM »

Nice start on your ham gear and shack.
What bands do you operate?
I mostly operate ten meters and hope to work you some day.

Best 73,
Charles,
KD4TVB,
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: