Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Portable use of Cushcraft R6 or R8 vertical  (Read 3360 times)
W8AJR

Ignore
« on: March 20, 2013, 06:53:38 PM »

Our RACES group has need of an HF vertical that can be broken down easily for transportation and reassembled without the need for retuning.

The Butternut and Gap antennas appear to be too complex mechanically for this application.

Does anyone have any experience in this area?

Dave, W8AJR
N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 02:09:30 PM »

I have an R8 and I can only say that if you reassemble it based on markings, it should be repeatable. I haven't done that but it's pretty well manufactured and I see no reason why it would not be repeatable.

I'd probably tune the antenna on the appropriate frequencies and then hit each joint with paint to permanently mark it.

On the other hand, I'm not sure what you'd call 'broken down'.

It's not all that easy to assemble all the parts the first time so leaving it as much together as possible, such as breaking it at the bottom of the 17/20 meter trap would give you a couple of sections and that would be very easy to reassemble. Overall, it's 28.5 feet in length and the 15 meter stub is over half of that.

Disassembling and reassembling the 6/10/12/15 stubs would not be fun. That could be mitigated by color coding the paint used to mark them so they are obvious when matched to their counterparts.

If you take it apart at the 17/20 meter trap and then disassemble the top half of the stubs and split the lower part in half you might have 3 ~10ft parts. Color coding would be essential. That would leave you with 3 major assemblies and the ends of two stubs, 12 and 15 meters. I think you could leave the 6 and 10 meter stubs on the bottom section.

Then, there's the 7 radials that you'd have to remove, but they are not measurement critical and not real time consuming either.

I have mine on a 10' tripod. That would likely not be field portable. It's a fairly top heavy antenna and would not be an easy temporary mount without guying. I use 1/16 paracord to guy mine even on the tripod mount that is set into concrete in the ground.

On the plus side, it's a stellar performer for a self contained vertical. No close in work from any vertical, so don't count on it for any NVIS work. It's got a very low angle of radiation so it stinks for anything close in, like any good vertical.

73 de N4CR, Phil

We are Coulomb of Borg. Resistance is futile. Voltage, on the other hand, has potential.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: