Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DX award degree of difficulty?  (Read 4911 times)
K7MH

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2013, 11:35:41 PM »

Hey, I read somewhere that WAZ on160 does not require all 40 zones? How did that get into effect?

You only need 30 and there are endorsements for 36, 37, 38, 39 and 40. Not sure why.

DXCC on 2 meters is largely done on EME.
It isn't particularly difficult but putting up decent antennas would be a pain and fairly expensive. You can have a small fortune in N connectors when you are done with some of the larger arrays! A tower doesn't have to be very high though.

WAZ on 5 bands would be tough as you have to cover the whole globe on each band.

When you think about it, one can potentially get DXCC on a band just covering part of the globe.
Something like North and South America, the Caribbean, and some Oceania or western Europe.

Not to mention it can be done in a weekend, sometimes on a single band in a major contest. I worked 84 entities on 20 in the ARRL DX phone contest earlier this month. Not 100 but getting fairly close!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 11:44:56 PM by K7MH » Logged
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2013, 11:45:59 PM »

When you think about it, one can potentially get DXCC on a band just covering part of the globe.
Something like North and South America, the Caribbean, and some Oceania or western Europe.

I recently calculated if you work NA, The Caribbean, SA, Europe, and the easier West African countries the total is about 180 countries.  I'm leaving out the whole Pacific  and most of those islands are not hard to work even from the East Coast. I did not count the South Atlantic islands (VP8's) in the total.

Chris/NU1O
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2013, 04:49:02 AM »

If you want bragging rights, just announce that you are going to ANY entity on the top ten list, actually go there, and get your DXCC!

Nobody will care about your WAZ totals.  But, the DX community will remember you went there.

Zack W1VT
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2013, 04:56:22 AM »

If you want bragging rights, just announce that you are going to ANY entity on the top ten list, actually go there, and get your DXCC!

Nobody will care about your WAZ totals.  But, the DX community will remember you went there.

Zack W1VT

So true!

In fact, look for 4L4FN on this list for a perfect example:

http://www.arrl.org/system/dxcc/view/DXCC-MIXED-20130322-USLetter.pdf

Once he put P5 in front of 4L4FN - he became a "famous" DX-er!

It doesn't matter where he is on the DXCC Standings List . . . . just that he is one of two people who have ever activated P5.

P5/4L4FN to this day - and I expect for a long time - will be the most rare and coveted QSL card in my collection.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 05:03:32 AM by KY6R » Logged
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2013, 06:09:32 AM »

WAZ on 5 bands would be tough as you have to cover the whole globe on each band.

Yes, that's what makes it brutally hard, especially from North America, where all the geographically-difficult entities are situated also have small ham populations or super-stations. Think about it, it's a rough path to Mongolia from New Jersey and vice-versa, but a DXer in Mongolia can have his pick of powerhouse NJ stations for his 5B-WAZ, whereas there may only be one or two JT stations that have a good enough signal on 80. This is also why I would love to see a DXpedition mounted to entities that fall within certain rare-on-the-lowbands zones for the big population centres in NA.

Not to mention it can be done in a weekend, sometimes on a single band in a major contest. I worked 84 entities on 20 in the ARRL DX phone contest earlier this month. Not 100 but getting fairly close!

In ARRL-CW this year I did it on 40, 20 and 15--first time ever on 3 bands in the same weekend, but many times I've done it on both 15 & 20 in the majors, both CW and SSB. Consider that while I have a half-decent station I'm not a world-class contester and I've still managed to rack up over 230 entities so far in calendar 2013 (I'm after Marathon points this year). I'm hoping to finish the year with at least 275 entities plus all 40 zones.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
IK0OZD

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2013, 12:06:03 AM »

my most beautiful award  DX was CQMAGAZINE UNILIMITED Marathon of 2011,

I tried a joy different from all others,
I'm very proud

73 gl
Tony
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2013, 08:39:02 AM »

my most beautiful award  DX was CQMAGAZINE UNILIMITED Marathon of 2011,

I tried a joy different from all others,
I'm very proud

73 gl
Tony

Yes, this is a beautiful and prestigious award. And only one is given out in a year Wink  Congratulations.  So I must ask you which award you have is the one you are most proud of?  And which one is the most difficult and time-consuming to achieve?

Jonathan W6GX
IK0OZD

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2013, 09:26:23 AM »

ciao Jonathan ,
all award  are beautiful
the dxcc, l ' honor roll, the top honor roll, 5B waz are a natural attainment,
just live long and engage in what you want,

Marathon award , or the award  of a contest in my opinion are to be seen differently,

the first type of award (H.R.) is a race with time,
the second type of premium (CONTEST WINNER OR MARATHON) is a race with others,
This is not law, but only a little thought
ciao
Tony
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2013, 09:38:17 AM »

ciao Jonathan ,
all award  are beautiful
the dxcc, l ' honor roll, the top honor roll, 5B waz are a natural attainment,
just live long and engage in what you want,

Marathon award , or the award  of a contest in my opinion are to be seen differently,

the first type of award (H.R.) is a race with time,
the second type of premium (CONTEST WINNER OR MARATHON) is a race with others,
This is not law, but only a little thought
ciao
Tony

A very good answer Tony.  So now what award(s) are you still after?  I can't think of any!  Ciao.

A good thing I still have time on my side to achieve my goals.  I still have at least three solar cycles left in me, hihi.

Jonathan W6GX
IK0OZD

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2013, 09:46:14 AM »

I like the IOTA  program in this moment ,
NX7U

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2013, 11:38:09 PM »

Well, I guess it has to be (easiest to hardest)
5B-WAZ
5B-DXCC
DXCC Honor Roll

because I got them in that order.  Except not HR yet...one short.

Off the cuff I would have said 5B-WAZ, but the thing is, it only takes 150Z to qualify.  So technically you can have zero zones on 80m and get it.  Whereas for 5B-DXCC you have to have the 100 countries on 80m--no makeups elsewhere.
(For the record, my 5B-WAZ count is 190.  On verticals and mobile.)

Scott NX7U in DM43
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2013, 06:33:48 AM »

Off the cuff I would have said 5B-WAZ, but the thing is, it only takes 150Z to qualify.  So technically you can have zero zones on 80m and get it. 

I did not know that...... I may be closer than I thought Cheesy.

Only need 30 more on 80m now for 8BDXCC. (Slowly coming.......... Roll Eyes.)

73, Gene AF3Y
VK3HJ

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2013, 06:44:04 AM »

I never looked into 5BWAZ, as I thought I first had to confirm all 40 zones on all 5 bands!
It appears I have been qualified for quite some time for initial 5BWAZ. Even before my 5BDXCC.
Thanks for pointing this out.
I'll wait, however till I can also apply for my 160 m WAZ - 27 zones worked now.
However, it is the CQ DX Marathon that helps keep me DX hunting daily.
Luke VK3HJ
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2013, 07:20:20 PM »

Wow, I am at 148 towards a goal of 150 for 5B WAZ.  That is confusing...only 30 needed on 160 meters, only 150 needed for 5BWAZ.
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2013, 08:50:04 PM »

They have a funny way of defining "All"! Maybe it's like what the definition of "is" is...

John AE5X
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: