Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Easter Island XR0YG  (Read 8974 times)
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2013, 08:23:13 PM »

There's also CE0Y/NL8F in 2012.  Tim gave me an ATNO last year.

They are working multiple continents with huge pile ups.  I tried 15m for almost an hour and no joy.  I will wait until they start calling CQ.

If you have nothing else to do why not work them?  The marathoners start at zero on Jan. 1st every year.

Jonathan W6GX
I think one of my last posts was to you and it was about the SN almost reaching 150. It never did hit 150. As a matter of fact it took a nose-dive. Conditions have been real lousy. 

I could use T2 and H40 on some bands but during the last few days I've put the rig on for about 1/2 an hour and shut it down for the rest of the day. I did work 5W0W on 10 meters the other day and I had to compete with many stations from the West Coast so working Ralph was the standout for the last week.

I'm getting real tired of all the digital spots (especially JT65) on DX Summit.  Does anybody know if I can filter those out?  If not, I think they really need to break things down by CW and Phone, and have another section for digital modes. It also seems like I'm seeing more and more beacons being spotted. Combine all of the above with the Lids who send messages through the clusters and it is turning into a huge garbage heap!

Thank God the Red Sox had a televised spring training game on tonight and baseball season is just around the corner!

Chris/NU1O

WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2013, 05:54:25 AM »

Got them today on 30 m. I think.  Smiley
Confirmed. Upload to LotW and Club Log was like lightning. Thanks!

- WX2S

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2013, 06:12:12 AM »

I was really disappointed at the speed of the QSOs on 12m yesterday. They were reasonably strong, but working very slowly. It was very annoying.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
K4JK

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2013, 06:16:28 AM »

They were coming in like gangbusters on 15 late yesterday afternoon. Pileup was too thick for my station though.

Woke up early to try to get them on 30 or 40 today, and I could barely hear them. CNDX were pretty poor, lots of noise here at my QTH. Should be able to properly chase them this weekend however.

ex W4HFK
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2013, 08:08:09 AM »

heard them on 10.104 last night but they were working Europe dit -- dih dih dah.
by the time i tried 40m this morning sun was up and they were quite weak.

just heard them on 17m and gave them a try.  voila -- luck was with me!
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2013, 10:00:00 AM »

Holy cow, my QSO is already LoTW confirmed and it has been only 2 hours!  Shocked  Grin
W5RDW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2013, 10:06:23 AM »

Same here.

Worked them on 40 CW at 8 am this morning and it is already on LOTW. Also, all the other band slots are there that i have worked in the past two days! Outstanding!

Roger White W5RDW
Murphy, TX
Ham since 1961
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2013, 08:35:20 PM »

Holy cow, my QSO is already LoTW confirmed and it has been only 2 hours!  Shocked  Grin

Do they expect to receive any donations while by confirming via LoTW while the trip is still taking place?

Chris/NU1O
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2013, 08:43:56 PM »

Just worked them on 160M. Just superb. I'm only running 300W - which is QRP for 160M.

Love 160M - easily my favorite band!
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2013, 09:20:46 PM »

Do they expect to receive any donations while by confirming via LoTW while the trip is still taking place?

Chris/NU1O

No, the trip is self financed. But they do ask, if you are so inclined, to contribute to NCDXF and/or Club Log.
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2013, 09:22:23 PM »

Just worked them on 160M. Just superb. I'm only running 300W - which is QRP for 160M.

Love 160M - easily my favorite band!

Congrats!

Just for kicks I wanted to see what the 160m rave is all about.  I went to their spotted frequency and to my surprise I could actually hear them pretty well on my tribander.  The pileup was not too big and they were all calling at about 1kc up.  I could hear a lot of static crashes which I guess is a hallmark of lowbands.  Besides the wavelength is really long what is so special about this band?  To me it sounded no different from 40m on a summer night.

Jonathan W6GX
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2013, 09:56:43 PM »

Has anybody worked them on 10 meters yet?  There is propagation daily on 10 from my QTH to Argentina, Chile, and Brazil except for days when everything is blacked out.  I worked them on 12 and 15 today.

This is off topic but I don't want to open up an old topic.  H44G was on 15 CW today but rather than operating split he would QSY to the transmitting station's frequency and give the call and report on that frequency.  It took me a few minutes to catch on to what he was doing. The QSO rate slowed down to virtually zero and he had a lot of people confused.  I hope this is not the same person going on that H4IOTA expedition and I don't understand why somebody wouldn't just stick to normal protocol.

Chris/NU1O
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2013, 10:06:17 PM »

Has anybody worked them on 10 meters yet?

A quick check on clublog showed that no one has worked them on 10m yet (i.e. no box is shown on 10m).  If there's propagation I'm sure Pete W2IRT will be the first one to work them.  He has seven elements on 10m Shocked

Jonathan W6GX
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2013, 10:14:51 PM »

Besides the wavelength is really long what is so special about this band?  To me it sounded no different from 40m on a summer night.

Jonathan W6GX

You'd have to ask a dedicated 160 meter operator for a definitive answer but I think you answered your own question.  It's the longest bandwidth we regularly use and to work stations thousands of miles away with our limited power and wire antennas is quite remarkable. If you are using either of your Yagis w/o a transmatch you are not hearing much of anything.

When I first got into amateur radio back in the 80's I would run into Europeans who were very familiar with some of the 50 kW clear channel AM stations in my area, such as WBZ in Boston and WTIC in Hartford. They used to listen to those stations in Europe as kids. Most are probably SK now.

I never had room for a Beverage to do justice to listening to the AM band but even a simple loop antenna would allow me to hear stations from South America, Mexico and the Caribbean. I have an old Collins 390A stored in the garage.  It is a remarkable receiver considering when it was built.

Chris/NU1O
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2013, 10:18:19 PM »

A quick check on clublog showed that no one has worked them on 10m yet (i.e. no box is shown on 10m).  If there's propagation I'm sure Pete W2IRT will be the first one to work them.  He has seven elements on 10m Shocked

Jonathan W6GX

How many active elements does his antenna have on 15 and 20 meters?  I'd rather have more elements on 15 and 20 than all those elements on 10.  I am usually the first to work anything I can hear with 4 elements and 1500W on 10 meters.

Chris/NU1O
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: