Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Intimidated  (Read 5462 times)
K4EJQ

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2013, 07:07:01 PM »

Hi Tim and welcome aboard. Yep, ALL NEW HAMS ARE INEXPERIENCED. You can take that to the bank!!!! We've all been in the same boat. Obtaining the license is just the FIRST step to becoming a radio amateur. NOW-THE LEARNING SHOULD BEGIN. The sky is the limit and it's up to you as to how you wish to proceed. In any event, ENJOY-IT'S A GREAT HOBBY. 73, Bunky, K4EJQ
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2013, 01:28:40 PM »

Well..  there you go..  the verdict is in..  have fun.. look a few things up.. have a freq. chart available.   Listen for a while.  If it's DX.. the split info will be there or you're hear it.  Ignore the rude ones.

The thing about Ham Radio..  you don't get into Ham Radio is you're anti-social..  you get into it because you WANT to talk to people. 

That means you're much better off than other hobbies where being social isn't a prerequisite.....   Smiley

My LATEST bonehead move was giving a 4-0 signal report to a Geratol Net Member (80M - 3.668) trying to get his last contact "Hawaii" and then losing him until another night...

The others guys who could copy me better were like..  "I think I heard 4-0...  What is "0"..  "Yah....  I heard "0 Huh?"...

I emailed and apologized for my bonehead move (he said don't worry.. etc.) and over the next couple of months..  helped about 35 hams get Hawaii - many needing it for their last State.   Lesson learned.. turned into a great experience.

I was familiar with the numbers but not use to working weak signals.   He was probably a 33 or 22.   I quickly learned to keep it simple after that with 22, 33, 44, 51, 52... reports.

If I can barely hear them..  it's 22.   If I can hear most of them OK..  it's 33..  If I can hear them just about 100% but weak.. it's 4-4.    After that it's 5-1.    That's what I'm comfortable with.

There was an article about all this in one of the magazines recently.

Have Fun.. you certainly will.....

Bryan
WH7DX
N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2013, 04:25:51 PM »

Looking forward to possibly chatting with all of you on the air.

Let me know if you want a SKED. Pretty much everyone here would do that for you.

73 de N4CR, Phil

We are Coulomb of Borg. Resistance is futile. Voltage, on the other hand, has potential.
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2013, 06:17:53 PM »

Tim

What a wonderful gift from your wife for 40th anniv.  And congrats on that milestone.  I still remember my first days on HF, 1977.  I still have that same excitement.  I promised my Elmer I would help everyone else as much as I could.  You can contact me directly anytime via email if you have any questions at all.  I am happy to help you.

Mark Lunday
WD4ELG
wd4elg@arrl.net
KB3WZX

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2013, 05:30:49 AM »

Well guys with all the encouragement from you and help from my son getting my wire in the trees, I made my first two QSO'S last evening. Worked a CQ from Boise Idaho and took a chance on breaking into a QSO with two fellows who wanted to know when the Dayton show was. I backed out of their conversation as soon as I gave them the info. Nice experience both times. Think I'll stick on 40 and 20 meters for now.

Thanks and 73 to everyone who helped a newbie.
Tim
KB3WZX
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2013, 05:48:20 AM »

Welcome to HF, Tim! And you're one-fiftieth of the way to a WAS.  Grin

- Steve WX2S.

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
KG4LMZ

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2013, 06:01:55 AM »

[...] and those same people wouldn't dream of saying what they say here on the air.

To flip this around, I have a pretty bad case of "mic fright", but I'm a lot more comfortable with technologies like email and instant messaging.  So I spend most of my "ham life" on digital modes.  It gets the mic out of my face, which is at least half the battle.  It also slows down the QSO, reducing the pressure I feel, and giving me time to actually get my brain in gear for the conversation.
KA1KXL

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2013, 08:16:51 PM »

Hey Tim, in addition to the good advice already given by your new friends here, maybe setup a schedule?

You can respond here or see my profile page for my email, maybe others would like to join?

I bet given a bit of experience, and you'll be impossible to get off the air!  Grin

73's and don't sweat it, it'll be second nature soon enough.
Bruce, KA1KXL
KD0NFY

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2013, 01:35:52 PM »

The best part about the grumps is that they let you know right away that you don't want to talk to them.  I consider it a service.

I've only been licensed a couple of years, I'm a newbie too.  I've only heard a few snide comments and my license still works just as good as theirs.  If they don't like me on the air because I haven't been at this for 60 years then that's just too bad.  Life is full of disappointments. 
AD5TD

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2013, 07:23:57 PM »

Oh how I remember that feeling, I was mic shy to the max. 

How did I get over it? 

My club was putting on a "special events" station and I went out to help set up and one of my elmers just took me and put me in front of the mic and BAM! I was off.  I never looked back.  Sure there are clods out there (most on 80M) that won't even acknowledge a new ham. Don't worry about it, just keep going.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: