Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Am I a LID if I...  (Read 4087 times)
N7BMW

Ignore
« on: March 22, 2013, 12:31:31 PM »

don't know what a LID is?

I have been licensed for thirty years but have not been very active.

I have seen the term many times.

So, just what is a LID?
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 12:48:41 PM »

If you don't know what a lid is, then you might not know why you'd care. So, then, you'd be definitely in danger of being one.

Simply stated, a "lid" is a poor operator.

It can be expanded, but it comes down to that.

So, is that you? Wink

-Mike N2MG
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 02:35:57 PM »

"I am a LID if......."
Sounds kinda like the beginning of a Jeff Foxworthy monologue!  Roll Eyes

I've always been curious as to the origin of
the term "Lid". As with a lot of slang nomenclature
there is usually more than one explanation.
73, Ken  AD6KA
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 02:54:43 PM »

Hiram Percy Maxim, originator of quite a few strange terminologies, such as the Rettysnitch, is often reported as the originator of the term, "Lid" - meant to describe someone who, through poor operating practice of some sort or other, would put a "Lid" on communications taking place among a typical group of operators. 

But, as these things go, the actual truth may be long lost to lore, tradition and plain old story tellin'...

The best way I know not to ever be branded as a LID is to do a lot more listening than transmitting, then follow what you hear the majority of others doing and how they do it when you go ahead and transmit.  In other words, if you don't hear the majority of the others doing it, then don't do it yourself either. 

W9KEY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 04:00:06 PM »

I've always been curious as to the origin of
the term "Lid". As with a lot of slang nomenclature
there is usually more than one explanation.
73, Ken  AD6KA

I have heard two possibilities and i like them as potential origins:

LID = licensed idiot
LID = an op. who fails to listen to such a degree that they might as well have put a lid over their speaker
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 04:51:21 PM »

LID=Limited Intelligence Demonstrator:  Idiocy is not always or necessarily a requirement. On the ham bands an operator that uses the same format and protocol as heard in a typical CB qso.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 05:10:24 PM by W1JKA » Logged
W9CN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 06:43:47 PM »

With respects to Jeff Foxworthy:

If you like to tune up on a rare DX station for a couple of minutes to make sure you have it perfect, you might be a lid
If you call and call and call on the rare DX station frequency even though you can't hear them on the hopes they will put you in the log, you might be a lid
If you use the DX cluster spot function comments as a way to send text messages back and forth with another ham, you might be a lid
If you use the DX cluster to spot yourself, you might be a lid
If you have your mic gain and compressor set maximum on your HF rig and other hams tell you they can hear the termites in your attic when you transmit, you might be a lid
If you try to start a rag chew with a rare DX station while dozens and dozens of hams wait to work them, you might be a lid
If you have worked the rare DX station on the same band yesterday and feel obligated to work them again to "just to say hi", you might be a lid
If you failed the personal hygiene class in school and folks are always moving up wind of you, you might be a lid
If you like to set your HT volume to 11 (because 10 isn't enough) and then walk around with it blasting, you might be a lid

'73

Mike
W9CN

AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 06:50:56 AM »

I have heard two possibilities and i like them as potential origins:

LID = licensed idiot
LID = an op. who fails to listen to such a degree that they might as well have put a lid over their speaker

Our club recently had a presentation on the history of radio telegraphy.
The presenter claims that the term "LID" originates from before radio. It refers to marginal telegraph operators who put a can "lid" on top of the sounder to amplify the clicks and clacks.
Of coarse, if one walked into an office and saw such hokey setup, you might think that they were unprofessional.

G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 07:17:10 AM »

I too heard that it came from landline telegraphy.

KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 07:20:28 AM »

If the term came from the use of a tin can on the sounder as an ersatz amplifier, why wouldn't the term have been, "Cans" instead of "Lids"? 
W9KEY

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 03:00:14 PM »

If the term came from the use of a tin can on the sounder as an ersatz amplifier, why wouldn't the term have been, "Cans" instead of "Lids"? 

because it came from using a tin can lid and not the can?
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2013, 03:26:15 PM »

because it came from using a tin can lid and not the can?

Back in those days, a can opener made sawtooth jagged edges. It probably looked really bad sitting on the sounder looking like that!
Some HAMS have jagged edges too...  Grin

G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 06:01:12 AM »

'Cans' was a term used for headphones - some people made their own headphones from tin cans. And wooden pill boxes.
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 08:36:16 AM »

http://www.ac6v.com/hamlid.htm
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 09:47:08 AM »

9CN:  I love it!  Beautiful!  Your comments should be the basis for additional descriptions of a LID.

For example:

If you call CQ 10 -15 times before sending your call, you might be a LID

If you call CQ using a KW but have a pizza sheet for a receiver, you might be a LID.

If you and your buddy across town chat and you're running a KW, you might be a LID

If you can copy 15wpm CW but send at 25wpm, you might be a LID
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: