Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio repair  (Read 1869 times)
KE7EYX

Ignore
« on: March 22, 2013, 05:23:31 PM »

Need help finding a radio repair shop that works on Yaesu radios.

I have a yaesu FT-7100 that i picked up off a fellow ham. It was DOA. The seller made it clear in the listing an took the gamble and bought it, figuring it would be a simple fix.  Got it an checked everything power cord, fuse in power cord, short separation cable in the head. No luck.  The problem is somewhere in the radio its self, as know the head is working.

I sent it out to a repair shop an got an email back few weeks later the guy cant fix the problem as lacks the ability to test and find the source of the failure. Would like to get it fixed vs having a semi expensive paperweight.

Suggestions....
W2AEW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 06:43:34 PM »

Have you considered sending it to Yaesu for service? Or, how about a repair shop that is Yaesu trained. A quick Google search turned up this one:
http://www.midwest-technical.com/
So, I'm sure there are others too.

------------------------------------------------------
My YouTube channel...
...ham radio, basic electronics tutorials, etc.
http://www.youtube.com/w2aew
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 10:28:08 PM »

Quote from: KE7EYX
I have a yaesu FT-7100 that i picked up off a fellow ham. It was DOA. The seller made it clear in the listing an took the gamble and bought it, figuring it would be a simple fix.  
Lee --

You need to adjust your $$ betting methods on newer DOA radios.  

1.  Easy fixes for modern radios designed/manufactured over past 15 to 20 years are becoming rare.  
Almost all use SMT components and with low failure rates.  Just no longer a good bet for buyer.
2.  Component level repair by Major retailers and mfg. stopped at end of 20th century (1999/2000).  
I watched whole shops of test equipment sold as surplus and techs retired or laid off.
3.  Parts obsolescence is a growing problem, especially with Asian mfg.
This is why End of Service occurs as soon after end of production,
as permitted by consumer protection laws of that country.
4.  LOOK at eBay in the past 2 years, with their buyer protection.
Sellers are now stripping broken radios down to parts/modules, trying to sell parts for more $$.

I would suggest Yaesu service first.  
Check with the eHam.net reviews of 134 repair technicians/service centers.  
Some only specialize in specific mfg. or models -- often due to parts availability or their mfg. training.
http://www.eham.net/reviews/products/26
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 10:33:48 PM by W9GB » Logged
KE7EYX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 06:58:44 AM »

Spent $85 on the transaction

What was included: radio, mount bracket, power cord, RT systems programing cd and separation kit.
Separation kit alone is worth $30 and sense already had a FT-8900 and the kit being compatible with that radio as well
Sold the RT systems cd - recovered $20 back

Guess worse comes to shove an cant get it repaired, I got a $30 decorative paperweight of a radio  Grin
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 04:57:53 PM »

My personal rule of thumb is "I don't buy anything that is broken unless; 1. It's dirt cheap. and 2. I know I can fix it" That applies to radios, cars, just about anything. It has saved me few bucks.

Clif
N9BH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 06:22:22 AM »

By DOA you mean completely dead as if power is missing?
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 07:23:47 AM »

YES, Dead On Arrival (DOA).

For those eBay, Craigslist and Internet Swap purchases,
I also include No Transmit/Receive and when radio is sold as a parts radio (previously badly hacked).
==
FLIPPING and STRIPPING is a new aspect -- that has more in common with Automotive & Truck Chop Shops.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 07:27:24 AM by W9GB » Logged
N9BH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 05:00:20 AM »

YES, Dead On Arrival (DOA).

Try posting on elmers or mods and repairs and try to fix it.
Just because someone else could not fix it does not mean it can't be fixed.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 07:39:26 AM »

Need help finding a radio repair shop that works on Yaesu radios.

I have a yaesu FT-7100 that i picked up off a fellow ham. It was DOA. The seller made it clear in the listing an took the gamble and bought it, figuring it would be a simple fix.  Got it an checked everything power cord, fuse in power cord, short separation cable in the head. No luck.  The problem is somewhere in the radio its self, as know the head is working.

I sent it out to a repair shop an got an email back few weeks later the guy cant fix the problem as lacks the ability to test and find the source of the failure. Would like to get it fixed vs having a semi expensive paperweight.

Suggestions....
Hi,

I have used a fellow in Portland Oregon...  I have a review and contact info at:
http://nk7z.net/review-of-amateur-radio-servicears/
I have no affiliation with him... 

My Wife dumped some water into an FT-900, and he fixed it...  He has also re-installed a band-switch in my AL-82, and if you have seen that you know how hard that job is...  Rates are reasonable, and time-frame was met...

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: