Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BEWARE OF KEN SIMPSON, W8EK  (Read 32392 times)
N4DSP

Ignore
« on: March 23, 2013, 06:57:00 AM »

Ken is a wheeler dealer. When dealing with Ken be sure to have him send you pics of what you are purchasing. I did not. I took "HIS WORD". BIG MISTAKE.
Ken, W8EK was selling headphones and I asked him to send me some pics. Not having a camera Ken sent me a sketch stating they look "SIMILAR" to this. The sketch looked of great quality so I purchased them. When they arrived they looked nothing like the sketch. The ear cups were of the cheapest plastic and were flattened. The headband was bent and could not be straightened. So I emailed Ken stating they looked nothing like the sketch and the damaged condition of the headphones and he stated "I told you they looked "SIMILAR". Displeased with the product the day of arrival I asked Ken for a refund to which he denied my request.
I saw these same headphones at the local Dollar Store a few months after this selling for $4.95
So beware of KEN SIMPSON, W8EK, and always ask for pictures, many pictures before buying from this guy.
KE7EYX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 07:13:50 PM »

I Wouldn't buy anything from that guy period!  He floods every available swap shop or for sale listing with his stuff. I was on 2 different yahoo groups and he would flood them all the time with stuff to unload, I finally got tired of it an left both groups because of him. It was annoying.

Where's he getting all this stuff for sale any ways Huh  Doubt getting it from estate sales... 
This guy for all I care sounds a lot like some other scamer that has made some big headlines lately on here (name excluded) only difference is he sends the product...maybe what your after or may be totally the opposite.  Grin
WA5THJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 12:09:00 AM »

Recently I bought an MC-50 microphone from Ken Simpson, W8EK, that was represented as "excellent condition" and paid a corresponding price for it. I was disappointed when I received it. The MC-50 mic iteself was missing the ON/OFF switchplate and the paint was chipped up on it in a number of places. I expressed my dissatisfaction with Ken and he told me to return it, but I would have to eat shipping both ways. I thought that was unreasonable, since in reality he mis-represented the item. I will never buy anything from him again. Byron WA5THJ.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 06:15:00 AM »

All too many of these people go 'dumpster diving' or are trash can pickers.
K9XR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 01:12:31 AM »

At one time when he was selling on qrz he was forced to have a disclaimer because of the number of items he was selling at any given time. He said that all of his stuff was non-profit from SKs and that all of the money was going to the SK's Families. I don't know if that is still true or for that matter was ever true. I know he sure posts a lot of ads. One thing I can say, they are easy to recognize because of their long and narrow format and whenever I see one I just pass it by. I know one thing, he sure doesn't give anything away!
W7ARX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 09:55:58 AM »

well, I saw an item he had for sale, contacted him, asking for an ACTUAL PIC of the item.  He sends me a link to rigpix and I said NO THANKS.  These aren't the pics of WHAT YOU HAVE for sale....end of a possible sale right there.

If you post something for sale and can't provide in some reasonable time (whether you borrow a camera or what), forget it.  I have been down this road before.  He used one pic from a VE3 and a pic from Rigpix...what is up with that???

Red flags all over the field.  I told him "GL"...CU.
W7ARX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 04:18:16 PM »

When pressed, told me the item had been sold (but.....posting remains on the swap board)...Hmmm...

Won't be doing any business with anyone that won't show me what the end item looks like.   Too risky and not worth the headaches...
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 12:51:23 PM »

Sorry guys.  I must disagree with the majority of opinions here.

I've dealt with Ken about a half dozen or so times over the last few years.  Everything I've purchased from him has been exactly as described.  Never been a problem.

While his prices aren't the lowest, neither are they amongst the highest. 

He is also willing to take a personal check.  Granted, I have to wait for it to clear... which he states clearly and up front.  Never been a problem.

Can't say why so many of you appear to have had an issue with him.  All I can tell you is, I haven't.
K8YS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 04:00:18 PM »

I moderate several "freecycle" sites on yahoo.groups. Ken used to troll these group looking for SK's stations and then he would sell them. The money never went back to the families.
K5WMG

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 08:01:53 AM »

I'm simply wary of anyone who sells so much stuff and has for many years yet doesn't have a camera. Virtually any phone now has one so there is no excuse form not having pictures of items if the quality is good. Doesn't make sense to me.
W7ARX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 09:54:08 AM »

The odd thing also for me, with some many folks scammed by this individual, I never ever see him refute or rebutt the postings....so...there must be some truth in what is being offered up as an issue.....
K4LJP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 10:03:21 AM »

Won't be doing any business with anyone that won't show me what the end item looks like.   Too risky and not worth the headaches...

Ken buys and sells a lot of gear as do I. Today he posted a piece of gear I am interested in for personal use, on long list of other junk, to a boat anchor group that I am also subscribed to.
He knows me, and he and I both live in Florida. I inquired about the piece and asked for a photo. He said he doesn't do pix, and if I wanted to see it to drive over and look at it before I bought it, and then I could also save on shipping......yeah right, like I going to drive 170 miles one-way to L@@k at 60 dollar tuner and save 12 bucks on shipping.
I didn't always submit photos either, up until a couple of years ago, but now I am proud to show of my gear to my prospective buyers in all of my postings. I have found there is a lot less tirekicking and the gear usually sells itself very quickly, with good Pix......Lee
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 07:31:30 PM »

I e-mailed him about a mic as I wanted to verify the model number (he didn't know). I asked for a picture. He said he can't post pictures.

No picture = no sale. My 5 year old grandson can take and post pictures with his mothers Iphone, sheesh...
WY4J

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2014, 05:12:45 AM »

Not having a camera Ken sent me a sketch stating they look "SIMILAR" to this. The sketch looked of great quality so I purchased them. When they arrived they looked nothing like the sketch.

A sketch? What the hell, are we living in the middle ages? Even Matthew Brady owned a camera in 1860. Sometimes we are the cause of our own problems.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2014, 06:53:53 AM »

As far as accepting lame excuses such as "I don't do pictures"--"There's a sucker born every minute."  --P. T. Barnum
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: