Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icom 7200 TX mod  (Read 20612 times)
K4IDK

Ignore
« on: March 23, 2013, 12:01:44 PM »

I did a google search, and apparently the 7200 can be modified for MARS, but what I found describes not only removing diodes, but adding diodes.

So I've got to ask, is this radio something that's fairly straightforward to modify, like my 706mk2g was, or is it something that I should seriously consider having ICOM or someone else do it?

Thanks,
Robert Patty
NNN0AJM
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 05:04:04 PM »

http://www.mods.dk/view.php?ArticleId=4252

Here is the mod. Hopefully, it is current and has not changed. I am pretty sure that you can use the diode that you remove to install in where the diodes need to be added.

However, to be sure, call Icom and supply a copy of your MARS license. They will send you the proper procedure. If you are not a member MARS, they will not talk to you.
WI9MJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 07:04:04 AM »

Check your radio, I did the mod and found I only had to remove 1 diode. You already have full RX so those diodes are already gone. I believe the rest may have to do with the US 60m band.

ETA:
The USB connection makes this a great radio for MARS work.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 07:07:01 AM by WI9MJ » Logged
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 04:56:08 AM »

Robert,
The mod looked straight foreward to me but I chose to have the ICOM shop in St. Joseph Michigan do the mod.  The radio was sent
from AES to the ICOM shop for the mod and then to me.  The cost was $35 and the job took about a week.  You will enjoy this
radio on the MARS bands and it is easy to use in mixed mode nets.
Art
W5BPP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 11:38:09 AM »

I did the mod last year! I removed one diode.... BEFORE I did the mod, I sent a copy of my MARS license to ICOM and they sent a (incorrect) mod showing the removal and addition of multi diodes. I got the correct mod from A Army Mars SD. Look at the board described and determine if all the diodes are in fact there! I think the mod for removing a single diode is still valid. I did the removal using a pointed xacto blade and prying the diode up. Be careful! if you slip you could remove something you do not want to!
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 03:28:17 PM »

I did the mod last year! I removed one diode.... BEFORE I did the mod, I sent a copy of my MARS license to ICOM and they sent a (incorrect) mod showing the removal and addition of multi diodes. I got the correct mod from A Army Mars SD. Look at the board described and determine if all the diodes are in fact there! I think the mod for removing a single diode is still valid. I did the removal using a pointed xacto blade and prying the diode up. Be careful! if you slip you could remove something you do not want to!

No way! They sent you the wrong mod? Their support totally sucks!
K4IDK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 04:50:33 PM »

That's scary! 

It would be bad enough to screw up a radio on your own, but using the manufacturer's directions and have things go bad would be even worse.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 09:07:36 AM »

Why do people keep posting for the "MARS" mod when this information is available through their State Directors?  Ask someone who has already done it and you will get the information that you need.
K4IDK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 10:10:22 AM »

Because on this particular radio I couldn't find anyone that had the information.  If I knew someone that was using this radio, or knew anything about the mod for it, I would have asked them.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: