Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does anybody zero beat a QSO anymore?  (Read 33711 times)
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2014, 06:27:30 AM »

Gave up zero beating years ago. Would suggest the same to all. After a CQ everyone zero beat to me and I could not copy anyone. Now I offset my xmit freq abt 30-100 Hz and seem to get through to CQers easily.

Isn't this more of a sign that your transceiver's indicated and actual frequencies are out of calibration than anything else?

No. What KI6LZ is talking about, is a dozen people clicking on a packet spot. 11 go to the "exact right frequency of the spot" and end up clobbering each other in a big mess. One goes offset by a hundred Hz or so and stands out from everyone else and gets the QSO easy.

I feel that in addition to packet spots, another factor making things worse is the built in rig tools that make it easy to visually zero beat a station within a few Hz.

I myself would advocate random offsets of up to a few hundred Hz as most effective.

Tim.
N4OI

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2014, 06:51:41 AM »

For simplex DX pileups, I appreciate when the responders move a couple dozen cycles or so off the DX caller's frequency.  The tone difference helps to discern the caller from the responders....   I assume the DX caller will have his filter opened a bit to hear everyone....

For rag chews it really does not matter, IMO...  ("Zero beat" is kind of temporary anyway with my old TenTec Century 21  Grin)

WB5JWI

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2014, 09:35:40 AM »

A couple of things. My old TS-520 had a 600 Hz offset on Transmit. I set the RIT down 600, tuned to null the signal, turned off the RIT and I was there. My new TS-480 has an 800 Hz offset. I could use the same method but I don't usually bother. For one, there is a button to zero beat but I don't use it mostly. I used the same trick to stay inside the band edge when down low. With the accurate read out on the TS-480 it is much less of a concern but I still have to stay 800 Hz above the bottom of the band.

The question is why zero beat so examine it. When my boat anchor is in use, I am rock bound so I still do a little hunting with the receiver. When on a more modern rig, I keep the filters at 1000 Hz when calling and only cut down when I've gotten close. If I'm called off frequency, I use the RIT and then filter. CW is a narrow mode around 250 Hz in width. So, if we are using 500 Hz filters, you can be off frequency by 200 Hz and who cares?

I tune close, not everyone opens up their filters when calling CQ but I just don't see the point of getting "anal retentive" about spot on zero beating. I'm told it is good operating practice but I don't see the merit in missing the fun trying to get the last 10 Hz off set removed.

Just my not so humble opinion, of course.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: