The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rude, Nasty Posters on eHam  (Read 2454 times)
KI4OYV

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2018, 06:31:39 AM »

IMHO we need to clean up our act and help each other out. I have to agree with the poster. There are too many rude and nasty comments given by the "experts" in every forums.There are 3 I can think of now. Ask a simple question and get, basically, chastised and ridiculed for asking. Reading posts from these supposed "experts" who don't post their call sign, just use nicknames, and those that do use it, makes me want to drop out of the hobby, but I endure stay and post as best a comment I can. 
Why be nasty and sarcastic? If an OP asks, What the best way to...? just give him as complete as can be, answer. He may not  have to resource available to find the answer, or doesn't know exactly how to ask or where to look.
Read a post where the question was asked in an honest way. The OP had no clue where to find the answer. He got, out of 10 pages, 2 pages of junk answers. 

Art
KI4OYV
TAMPA, FL
N0TLD

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2018, 07:28:01 AM »

I've been really enjoying eHam forums and learning a lot, but I've also been experiencing here and on the Zed forum even more so, the instant ridicule and blatant disdain for newcomers and learners.

It can be disheartening, but the internet is not on-the-air communication and the airwaves have been much more fun and civil and helpful for me, so I don't paint the entire hobby with the internet forum brush. The internet is going to be what it always is -- a place where decent people can gather and where jerks can ruin the gathering at will.

I understand their frustration, though, with people who ask things that any halfway intelligent person would simply have easily searched and found on their own; that kind of asking for help is a little absurd and lazy and I can understand some of the negative reaction to that kind of ignorant laziness... but generally, there is FAAAR too much kneejerk, automatic ugliness and negativity to be seen in almost every thread started by a newbie.

I've read more self-important and narcissistic drivel in the various amateur radio forums online, than in any other hobby or interest forum. Even in radio-related Yahoo groups, the immediate insulting and often vulgar ridicule is rampant.

It's not everywhere, or all the time, of course, and it doesn't ruin ham radio for me -- again, being on the air is much better and more fun and better represents actual friendship and communication (aside from a few problem-children frequencies Smiley ).

But it angers me when yet another expert know-it-all defender of the True Ham Faith feels it's within their rights to belittle and insult others out of hand, simply because those 'inferior' others aren't themselves expert know-it-alls, or not "real" hams, either by not knowing or using CW or not having been in radio since the '50s or '60s, or having committed the crime of not being old enough to have gotten their license the hard way like the 'real' old-timers had to, or any other trigger/cause for such egotistical insulting trash.

I've already been lambasted a few times for being a "pretend ham No-Code Extra", simply because I had the temerity to participate in a thread to ask and learn and enjoy. It's just like high school, teenage cliques, just as immature and preposterous and insulting. It's amazing how inferior those who feel so superior can truly be.

Most hams I know are decent, kind, helpful and fun people. But those better-than-thou keepers of the Old Days & Ways, those protectors of *true* amateur radio, are simply amateur human beings. I've never known an *actual* smart, secure person to act that way to people asking for help; it's apparent, readily so, that the Keepers of Real Hamness are insecure and terrified of change in any form.

BUT, again, it doesn't represent or ruin real amatuer radio for me, at all. It's simply one of the virulent illnesses of online/forum ham radio.

73 de N0TLD
Mike

« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 07:30:38 AM by N0TLD » Logged
AF6LJ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2018, 07:35:14 AM »

This place is far more polite than the Zed has been since about 2014.

Take Care
Sue,
AF6LJ
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2018, 05:01:12 PM »

.....Sick, underdeveloped people and their opinions are not limited to the current time nor the current tech... but their reach is considerably better nowadays.

Excellent point.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: