Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 Meter FM Dedicated Radio  (Read 3195 times)
W4JBE

Ignore
« on: March 25, 2013, 09:23:13 AM »

Hi All,

I live in Eastern NC but work out of state.  I have an extra 2 Meter FM Transciever and computer that I would like to dedicate to one of the following: Packet, Winlink, Echolink, ETC.  I can get a TNC if needed, any suggestions to which one would benefit my area the most....TNX.

Jay
W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 10:37:39 AM »

I would get with the local club where you want to set this up and find the area ARES group or what ever organization that is doing Disaster Relief.  Different groups are using different modes and have different requirements. i.e. One of the local groups doing DR here in West Kentucky is the KBC (Kentucky Baptist Convention) and in the rest of the Commonwealth is moving to D-Star.  We have no D-Star repeater here, so if you were to ask that question to them, the answer would be a D-Star setup.

Clint - W5CPT -
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 04:15:04 AM »

Just my .02 for what it's worth--Don't forget that you would need a dedicated antenna system for the link as well.  If you were to use your station antenna and disconnect when you were using your 2 meter station, you wouldn't have a reliable 24 hour setup, and if someone were to either be on when you disconnect or tried to access it when it was disconnected, it would quickly spread that it was not a reliable station.  Wouldn't make any difference that you contribute the station or the equipment, word would spread.  Been there, done that with packet--and I took the station down after.
W5LZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 03:27:37 AM »

Which of those, Packet, Winlink, or Echolink, are used (most) in your area?  Would another 'entrance' to one of those services be beneficial?  Or would you like to start one of them?  I think that should give you an idea of which might be your best option.  I think the other suggestions are certainly something to think about too.  It can get pretty 'involved' fairly quickly.
 - Paul
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: