Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DXCC and deleted countries  (Read 1806 times)
WA4IIF

Ignore
« on: March 25, 2013, 03:31:00 PM »

I've never applied for DXCC, although I've worked and confirmed about 300 countries (including deleted ones). I plan to submit my DXCC application when I have 300 current countries confirmed. My question: in my initial application for DXCC am I able to submit deleted country QSLs for credit? (I do understand that deleted country QSLs don't count for the DXCC Honor Roll.)
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 03:42:32 PM »

Yep. Submit everything you have; deleted and current. The League will sort it all out. Just make sure you have the correct entity on the application for the deleteds. Some have kept the same names for their current iteration as their old deleted versions.

I would say that for an application of that size, give your field checker a heads up or send the cards to the League. I'm a DXCC field checker and I can do a 100-card application in about 30 minutes if left undisturbed, but I generally like to take about half a day to do anything over 250. Also please make sure your paperwork is complete Grin

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
WA4IIF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 07:46:16 PM »

Thanks for the info. I'll submit my application by splitting my confirmations: through LoTW and then through paper QSLs.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 07:56:45 PM »

Thanks for the info. I'll submit my application by splitting my confirmations: through LoTW and then through paper QSLs.

Yes, that's the way to do it for sure. You're be best served doing an online DXCC for your paper QSLs, though. It's half the price of the conventional way.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 07:01:59 AM »

Also please make sure your paperwork is complete Grin

better to just do it using online DXCC where the system will generate complete paperwork for you.
K2DC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 07:19:24 AM »

Yes, that's the way to do it for sure. You're be best served doing an online DXCC for your paper QSLs, though. It's half the price of the conventional way.

You'll have to do it that way.  Last year the League changed the application processes and LoTW submissions were separated from paper card submissions.  I typically do the online paper submission first and send the cards, then the LoTW later.  That way any denied Q's, dups, etc. are already disclosed so I'll know ahead whether I have enough for a certain award level before I submit the LoTW confirmations for award.

Don, K2DC
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 07:40:53 AM »

I've never applied for DXCC, although I've worked and confirmed about 300 countries (including deleted ones). I plan to submit my DXCC application when I have 300 current countries confirmed. My question: in my initial application for DXCC am I able to submit deleted country QSLs for credit? (I do understand that deleted country QSLs don't count for the DXCC Honor Roll.)

My 2 cents: rather than wait for the magic 300 on mixed (I am coming up on 250 worked right now) I have been going after the individual band awards as I earn them, with a specific goal of 9BDXCC, and giving heavy heavy preference towards LOTW credit. I like paper cards too, for sure, but would rather do the DXCC stuff electronically.

I think if you are already at 5BDXCC or 9BDXCC or Challenge 1000/1500/2000 via LOTW, you should just submit now by LOTW. You will get lower numbered certificates/plaques for one thing. And it takes months to get a DXCC plaque or Challenge plaque. The endorsement stickers earned by paper QSL's can come later.

There is a big delay especially in paper applications at the end of calendar year through the first few months of the following year. You seem to be a patient guy to begin with, but I just thought I would mention :-)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 07:48:20 AM by N3QE » Logged
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 06:33:29 PM »

I stopped DXing in the 1990s, and right afterwards there was a rash of split up communist block countries. I never applied for DXCC or pursued the matter, but I am sure I was damn close to having mixed honor roll (cards in hand) when I gave it up. How the heck do I sort this mess out?

Pete
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 07:51:39 PM »

I stopped DXing in the 1990s, and right afterwards there was a rash of split up communist block countries. I never applied for DXCC or pursued the matter, but I am sure I was damn close to having mixed honor roll (cards in hand) when I gave it up. How the heck do I sort this mess out?

You can go to "Call Sign Tester" at clublog and put in the callsign and date. https://secure.clublog.org/test.php It will tell you what DXCC entity each card counts for on the QSO date.

Also the ARRL list of deleted entities at: http://www.arrl.org/files/file/DXCC/2012%20DXCC%20Deleteds_G.pdf

There used to be complicated rules about card-checking for deleted entities but I believe that now any card checker can handle them.

I have only a few deleted entities (a mark of a "newbie"!)
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 08:04:58 PM »

Here's a primer on how to get everything done and make that massive application go down pretty quickly.

The easiest way is to use your LoTW hits first and foremost, assuming you have transcribed your logs and uploaded them to LoTW.

If not, you'll be doing an entire paper-based application. There are two different ways of doing those: Online and Traditional. Traditional is twice the price but you're not doing computer data entry (just filling out the forms). Online is infinitely better, cheaper and it makes the job of whoever's checking your cards SO much easier Grin.

When you enter a callsign, date, time, band and mode it also gives you a list of probable DXCC entities based on the prefix/date combination. Just choose the correct one from the drop-down list. I.e. Czechoslovakia (deleted) vs either Czech Republic (current) or Slovakia (Current).  Germany, German Democratic Republic or Federal Republic of Germany. And so on. If you have cards for entities that you just CANNOT make heads or tails of, it's best to send the whole application in to Newington where Bill and his staff can sort it out best.

If you cannot or will not do it online and prefer a traditional paper application then you MUST sort your cards by BAND FIRST, then MODE within the band (10 CW, 10SSB, 10 Digital; 15 CW, 15 SSB, 15 Digital, etc). Multiple-QSO cards, where you want more than one QSO to count for credit must go at the very back (i.e. after the last 160m Digital, for example). The can be in any country order but you MUST have the band-then-mode order correct and you also MUST have the correct entity name clearly spelled out. Although not required, it's strongly recommended that you print out the QSO records from a computer or typewriter...I've seen some handwritten applications that were almost illegible. I re-did one it was so bad. Also not required, but strongly recommended, when you take your cards to the checker have all the labels facing up so the checker doesn't have to turn every single card over. He/she doesn't care about the picture of the palm tree and sunset on that H44 card, but rather what's on the sticker on the back!

If you do an online application you must pay online with a credit or debit card. If you do a traditional application you should include a CC. number and expiry date on your paperwork, but you can also send a cheque or fax through the info to HQ, etc.

If you have a huge card load (as you say, close to Honor Roll) that you intend to submit all at once, do NOT bring it to a hamfest. You should either send it direct to HQ or make arrangements with a local card checker (I'm in New Jersey and have received numerous mailed apps to check, but there are probably many who are closer to you, including HQ itself). Hamfest checkers generally don't want to do huge apps there on the spot since nobody else will be able to get their cards checked. It takes about a half-hour to 45 minutes to check a full 100 card application. Doing 300+ would take the whole hamfest probably and not allow the checker to get up for a rest break.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
K3TN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 02:56:55 AM »

The DXCC turnaround right now is amazingly fast. Last year about this time I reached 8BDXCC and cashed in my LotW confirmations and it took over a month. This year, I finally reached 305 confirmed mixed and 100 on 160, so cashed in my new LotW confirmations and the 300 and 305 stickers and the 160 DXCC certificate came in the mail in a week!

In the two weeks since submitting, had 9 new LotW band-countries come in! I'll now be focusing on 10 and 12M to get those totals up before the solar cycle heads down the slippery slope.

73 John K3TN

John K3TN
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 11:23:18 AM »

Incidentally, (coming back to this since you mention 300+ cards), ARRL says that if you are bring cards to HQ or a hamvention they can only guarantee the first 120 will be checked while you wait. http://www.arrl.org/dxcc-awards-fees
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 12:24:17 PM »

Incidentally, (coming back to this since you mention 300+ cards), ARRL says that if you are bring cards to HQ or a hamvention they can only guarantee the first 120 will be checked while you wait. http://www.arrl.org/dxcc-awards-fees

Yes, that's pretty well true. Most times there's only one checker. As I mentioned previously, it takes me about a half-hour to 45 minutes (undisturbed) to do a 100-card application with complete accuracy. 300 cards would probably take me the whole hamfest to complete, with nobody else's cards getting done. If you're going to get any more than 100-ish (100-130, somewhere like that), it's best to send them to the League or make an appointment with your local checker or send them to him by mail.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: