Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Setting up my first shack. Am I about ready to get on the air?  (Read 1879 times)
KD0BKC

Ignore
« on: March 22, 2013, 12:20:25 PM »

I recently upgraded to general.  I have been working on getting the shack set up over the past month or so.  I am wanting to know if I am overlooking anything.

I have a single entry point for antenna that is grounded with it's own ground rod and then that is connected to the electrical service ground rod (the rods are only 12 ft away from each other, I could not get 16 feet between them with the location I have).  I have a copper ground bus bar in the shack with copper braid running up the wall and out attached to the entry point ground.  All coax shield is also grounded to the entry point.  I have the power supply and radio grounded to the bus bar.  I am planning on throwing up a simple dipole or two up this weekend and tune it (I do have an antenna analyzer). 

Am I missing anything?  Will I be ready to fire up the rig?  All suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
KD0BKC
VA3CDG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 05:04:07 PM »

I have NOTHING of what you have...although, I have a G5RV and a TS-440S. I'm doing good. No RFI, no lightening, no worries so far.

SO...get some bloody copper in the air and go for it!
KD0BKC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 06:00:55 PM »

SO...get some bloody copper in the air and go for it!

That's the plan!  I just get a little OCD and know that I can get very near sighted with the small details and overlook stuff.  Thanks.
W5LZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 07:14:44 AM »

The only thing I didn't see listed is a radio.  So assuming you have one then I think with the antenna up you should be about as ready as anyone else.  Have at it!
 - Paul
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: