Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The MFJ 1622 Apartment Antenna for DXing....  (Read 5443 times)
K3NRX

Ignore
« on: March 26, 2013, 10:22:31 AM »

Anyone out there ever use it and  know how good it is?  I have done some research on various sources including on eham and the reviews have been mixed....What I am wondering is how good it is in breaking a moderate pile up?.....I am probably going to move into a duplex at some point and as per usual, land lords look at you funny....So who hear has used it for DX?....I am not talking Texas, California Canada or the Caribbean....I am talking into EU, Africa (at least) and such......I'd be curious to know your opinions....Thanks...

V
KA3NRX

W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 11:56:47 AM »

You might look into putting up a flagpole--the Freedom to Display the American Flag Act of 2006, passed by Congress and signed into law, specifically prohibits residential real estate management associations and condominium associations from infringing upon your right to make a reasonable display of the American Flag.  There may be a similar state law where you live.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/109/hr42/text

Zack Lau W1VT
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 11:58:54 AM by W1VT » Logged
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 12:45:52 PM »

You will be thankful that you have worked Father Apollo, and most of the others you have confirmed.  Happy thoughts of "days gone by" will cheer you up.........

A vertical (think FLAGPOLE) is not a DX death sentence tho.... I would check into that.
Couple manufacturers, but could be homebrewed fairly quick withoug much effort. You may have to do some midnite radial installation, but hey, you always did like working on the lawn, right Huh

GL/73, Gene AF3Y
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 03:30:18 PM »

Vince, you won't be happy trying to break pileups with such a puny antenna!  Consider an antenna you can deploy temporarily (such as one of the N6BT vertical dipoles, that does not require any ground radials).  Or try an Outbacker.  If you absolutely can't deploy a satisfactory outdoor antenna in your new back yard, even on a temporary basis, consider portable and/or mobile operations for chasing DX. 

Chucvk  NI0C
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 04:30:04 PM »

Translations:  Don't waste your time or your money cauz the antenna sucks eggs....OK...I get it....just thought I throw it out there as an option.....thanks...

V
KA3NRX
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 05:19:25 AM »

Vince, I neglected to mention the PATRIOTIC benefits of a flagpole antenna.  Thousands of vets live retired in FLORIDA, and I would bet hundreds of them have flagpole antennas.
A great DUAL purpose...... DISPLAY OF OUR FLAG    AND   Great vertical antenna (IF you have enough wire in the ground Grin).

39o and windy here this AM...... COLD........ Shocked

73, Gene AF3Y
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 05:22:16 AM by AF3Y » Logged
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 11:35:23 AM »

How about an indoor dipole and a random wire sneaking outside a bit?  I used such a setup from 1993-1996 when living in an apartment.  Worked over 100 countries with it, including KP1.

John AF5CC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: