Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alaska "Emergency Frequency" / Fixed Service  (Read 4479 times)
K4YZ

Ignore
« on: March 26, 2013, 02:26:15 PM »

Good day, Everyone...

I wasn't quite sure which forum to put this in, but since the word "Emergency" was used, I figured I'd start here.

I'm wondering if anyone knows where any reference in the FCC rules and regulations, OTHER THAN Part 97, to this "Alaska Fixed" or "Alaska Emergency" service can be found.  I've made a reasonably diligent search and can't find it.  Or is it in the NTIA's rules?  Has anyone actually used it before?

Any help  / info / directions would be welcomed, here or at stevenrobeson@yahoo.com.

Thanks and 73

Steve, K4YZ
AL7B

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 12:51:12 AM »

You are probably thinking of 5167.5kHz USB and available for use in Alaska.

http://www.fcc.gov/document/amateur-radio-service-5-mhz

Text search 5167 and it will take you right to the section.  This may get you started in your research.

73, Dick
KU7PDX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 08:11:33 AM »

Here's the info, I posted the Part 97 info here too for others that might be interested.

Title 47, Part 97 - Direct Link

§ 97.401   Operation during a disaster.

A station in, or within 92.6 km (50 nautical miles) of, Alaska may transmit emissions J3E and R3E on the channel at 5.1675 MHz (assigned frequency 5.1689 MHz) for emergency communications. The channel must be shared with stations licensed in the Alaska-Private Fixed Service. The transmitter power must not exceed 150 W PEP. A station in, or within 92.6 km of, Alaska may transmit communications for tests and training drills necessary to ensure the establishment, operation, and maintenance of emergency communication systems.

[71 FR 66465, Nov. 15, 2006]

Outside Part 97:

Title 47, Part 90 - Direct Link

§ 90.253   Use of frequency 5167.5 kHz.

The frequency 5167.5 kHz may be used by any station authorized under this part to communicate with any other station in the State of Alaska for emergency communications. The maximum power permitted is 150 watts peak envelope power (PEP). All stations operating on this frequency must be located in or within 50 nautical miles (92.6 km) of the State of Alaska. This frequency may also be used by stations authorized in the Alaska-private fixed service for calling and listening, but only for establishing communication before switching to another frequency.

[49 FR 32201, Aug. 13, 1984]

Chris - KU7PDX
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 09:10:05 AM »

The VKs had, and may still,  have a similar allocation.  Some 80's vintage ham gear came with a blank bandswitch position which could be enabled for the 5 to six range, Not CB as was thought.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: