Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Indoor 2/440 antenna  (Read 1387 times)
W5KAP

Ignore
« on: March 26, 2013, 04:18:20 PM »

Folks, I have a question about using a 2/440 antenna inside my attic when I have foil covered roof apnels for insulation purposes.  My gut tells me this wouyld not be a good idea.  Any thoughts?  I'll be using my TS-2000 and no amp or anything.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

73 de Kenn W5KAP

73 de Kenn
N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 04:52:05 PM »

I'd say it won't work at all, or if it does, it's because the repeater is very close.

Why not put it outside. You could make a 1/4 wave ground plane nearly invisible.

73 de N4CR, Phil

Never believe an atom. They make up everything.
W5KAP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 04:57:06 PM »

Thanks Phil.  I could and may end up putting outside but I live in a gated community and they are not crazy about aluminum. I can probably hide it around behind in back but that will necessitate a long cable run.  I was pretty sure it wasn't a good idea but thought I'd ask.

Cheers, Kenn

73 de Kenn
NI3S

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 05:30:48 PM »

There are plans on the net for J-pole made from twin lead.  That would not look like and antenna to curious eyes.  There are designs that use the PVC vent pipes to hide 1/4 wave vertical.  The foil backed insulation might be a big help as a ground plane.
W5KAP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 05:48:08 PM »

There are plans on the net for J-pole made from twin lead.  That would not look like and antenna to curious eyes.  There are designs that use the PVC vent pipes to hide 1/4 wave vertical.  The foil backed insulation might be a big help as a ground plane.

True!  I am using a Big Steppir in the trees at the back with no problem.  I have a nice tri=bander I bought through our local club which is now sitting on my desk next to me.  It hears great.  I can herar all the San Antonio and Austin repeaters with it.  But those in SA don't hear me too well.  The foil is above the antenna if I put it up in the attic and I am thinking it might not work too well.  I have a push up pole anbd I may hide that behind the house..That'll make for about a 50 to 75 foot run of cable though.  Probablymy best bet though.

Thanks again

3 de Kenn

73 de Kenn
N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 05:49:53 PM »

Hide a gp in a tree. Use low loss cable such as LMR-400.

73 de N4CR, Phil

Never believe an atom. They make up everything.
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 08:26:14 PM »

If your plumbing has vent pipes that come through the roof, check out the Ventenna! It works, and to the neighbors it's just another vent pipe, or an extension to one your already have!
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 06:43:59 AM »

The ventenna is a good option.  I'm also a fan of groundplanes in trees.  I put a couple in my tree behind the shack when I moved in as temporary antennas and now years later they're about 15' higher and still working fine.  Even right on the roof, a groundplane made from a mobile stainless whip clamped or screwed to an existing feature is virtually invisible from the ground.  I would lay odds there's stuff sticking out of your roof right now that's bigger and longer than a 19" 22ga whip.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
W5KAP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 08:50:11 AM »

The ventenna is a good option.  I'm also a fan of groundplanes in trees.  I put a couple in my tree behind the shack when I moved in as temporary antennas and now years later they're about 15' higher and still working fine.  Even right on the roof, a groundplane made from a mobile stainless whip clamped or screwed to an existing feature is virtually invisible from the ground.  I would lay odds there's stuff sticking out of your roof right now that's bigger and longer than a 19" 22ga whip.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

Hi Mark.  The Ventenna idea is a good one buit I wat to use the Arrow OSB tribander.  My problem of course.  I can put the antenna up on the backside of the houe on a push up pole but was trying to avoid a long cable run.  I really don't use 2/440 much but I like having the option.  Yep there are vent pipes up there taller than a 1/4 2 meter antenna.  I just have to make up my doodley mind which way to go.  I was all set to put it up in my attic until the light went on concerning the foil lined roof panels.  Sigh!

Thanks for your thoughts!

73 de Kenn
New Braunfels, TX

73 de Kenn
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 09:30:26 PM »

I know of a ham who disguised his 2m/440 antenna as a satellite dish!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: