Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UV-5R FOR PART 90 FIRE DEPT USAGE.  (Read 67544 times)
KF8SJ

Ignore
« on: March 26, 2013, 05:08:31 PM »

i am on the fire board for our local vol. fire dept.  we need to replace a number of older ht's and pagers.
one of our members glommed on to the uv-5r because of price.  i have read this site review as well as
many others.  seems it is liked or hated not much in between
my specific question is:can this thing thru programming or whatever be locked down for single channel
use such that all controls except for volume  and squelch are disabled.   such that the vfo is disabled.
we need to ensure that the equipment stays only on one frequency.
i recognize that these are cheap units.  however the alternative is $300-500 a pop, and our budget is not that flush.
thanks for reading.  any input appreciated.
73  jim  kf8sj     email  KF8SJ@AOL.COM
WG2N

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 05:59:51 PM »

you are better off with a single channel radio with no VFO Baofeng and others make those too.
KF8SJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 06:11:09 PM »

ok thanks for comment.  i am a little dumb in this area.  any model number etc.  and what is price range.
we are looking at 15 units.  also, the mortality rate in his useage has been historically high
any clues as  to where to start looking would be appreciated

jim   kf8sj
KF8SJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 07:11:50 PM »

ok.  i just spent an inordinant amount of time trolling the baofeng factory website.  i see no single channel
vhf band radios  did see a few uhf only.  most were dual band with  99 channel capability.
my need is for a single channel vhf only radio.  operative word is cheap! as we need 15 of them.
I NEED HELP....SOS... OR SHOULD I SAY CQRR?

JIM  KF8SJ

KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 08:37:27 PM »

How about this for $139.99:
http://www.powerwerx.com/wouxun-radios/kg-uva1x-dual-band-vhf-uhf-commercial-handheld.html
Yes is it 16 channel but, if you program all 16 the same, non one can mess up!
N8EMR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 03:28:50 AM »

i am on the fire board for our local vol. fire dept.  we need to replace a number of older ht's and pagers.
one of our members glommed on to the uv-5r because of price. ..........................................

Radio's for what vol fire function? Day radio for the guys to listen to or primary radio to use at a scene?
The UV5r or any of the cheap chineese radio are nice little radios, but I would not want my life as a responder  depending on those
radios. QUALITY is not there..... yes the $300 are more than the $60 radios, but you get the quality radios.

If you do go with the UV5, figure your repair option is to throw it away when it breaks. Can you budget handle that?

KF8SJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 05:40:45 AM »

thanks for the inputs.checked out the web site listed.  sorry but all these chinese radios are looking alike to me.  ding how!  anyway the   radios are all dual band. a few uhf single band.  don't see how this is much better than the uv-5xr.  they look surprising similar  suspect many of the internals made in same plant.

regarding price and useage.  we are talking $750.00 vs $4500.00, vs about $3000.00 for the wouxin and a very limited operating budget.
  regarding useage-we have relatively few calls, 1-2 a month is a lot.   mostly grass fires.  we have no major industries, or anything to cause a major response.
if this was a high response house, i would agree fully.  we have been using cb units and they have doing the job, but would like to step up a notch

all inputs greatly appreciated.  still searching.

73  jim  kf8sj
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 06:40:10 AM »

At our small village VFD we use the ICOM 4088A PRO uhf-fm transceivers for on scene and close by (mile or so)call out help.Rugged,somewhat water resistant(we keep them in zip loc bags as much as possible.Last price check was $130-140 per unit.VFD's around here get additional discounts via the small communication businesses.I am fully aware of the cash strapped situation of most small VFD's,fortunately we we get some help from the town budget,donations,suppers and a fishing derby and probably like you I've seen times when we would have been thrilled just to have two tin cans and a 100 ft. length of flameproof string for communications.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 06:57:21 AM by W1JKA » Logged
KF8SJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 05:55:30 PM »

thanks for the info on the icom.  will persue it.
comment about locking all channels on same freq. was good, hadn't thought about that one.  my concern is being able to lock out the vfo portion to ensure they stay where we want them.  if they are fiddle with it-they may never get back on right channel.
think we are about to order one of the uv-5r's and give it a try.  told them i would buy it for ham useage if it doesn't pan out.
still looking for input.  anyone out there have one of the baofeng uv-5r's?

73  jim  kf8sj
KF8SJ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 06:07:09 PM »

re icom 4088 pro--checked and did not see pro listed.  this appears to be frs radio.  i need something for part 90 useage  we have multiple vehicles and ht's under part 90, and also need for mutual aide situations.

thanks for the try.

73  jim kf8sj
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 07:13:09 PM »

thanks for the inputs.checked out the web site listed.  sorry but all these chinese radios are looking alike to me.  ding how!  anyway the   radios are all dual band. a few uhf single band.  don't see how this is much better than the uv-5xr.  they look surprising similar  suspect many of the internals made in same plant.

regarding price and useage.  we are talking $750.00 vs $4500.00, vs about $3000.00 for the wouxin and a very limited operating budget.
  regarding useage-we have relatively few calls, 1-2 a month is a lot.   mostly grass fires.  we have no major industries, or anything to cause a major response.
if this was a high response house, i would agree fully.  we have been using cb units and they have doing the job, but would like to step up a notch

all inputs greatly appreciated.  still searching.

73  jim  kf8sj

This radio hos NO WAY to change frequencies without programming software:

http://www.powerwerx.com/wouxun-radios/kg-uva1x-dual-band-vhf-uhf-commercial-handheld.html

If you can't afford these, you had better stick with the CB radios.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 04:36:39 AM »

Re:KF8SJ reply#9

Yes,the IC-4088A is FRS probably replaced by new model # by now.Part 90 not much of a concern,we just work with what we have and get the job done,for mutual aide we use 911 dispatcher.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 05:22:02 AM »

There is a very good reason for getting the higher priced radios for life safety usage such as a fire department.  I wouldn't want to have to rely on one of those Chinese made things that may be marginal at best if I were in the middle of a fire and needed help--which is what may just happen to a volunteer firefighter.  A little too much stress (dropping, bumping, heat, etc.) and that unit will most likely crap out--something that would never happen to a real public service type radio.  Likewise, I wouldn't want to have to rely on typical HTs from the big three--most simply aren't rugged enough for such rough usage.

I'm not trying to find fault with your attempting to save money, but you do have other alternatives.  How about trying to find used equipment actually made for rugged use by a fire dept.  Yes, it would take some effort, but I'm willing to bet that you could find that equipment--radios that you can REALLY rely on--for cheaper than getting that Chinese stuff.  You may even be able to get the radios donated to your department by a larger municipal fire/public service department--you would just have to pay for the reprogramming.  Either that or you could get a grant from a charitable foundation or even your state to get the real thing--brand new.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 05:37:03 AM by K1CJS » Logged
KF8SJ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2013, 05:41:26 PM »

GOOD COMMENTS.  APPRECIATE THEM

will check out the wouxin.  at face it looks awful similar to the uv-5r.  but seems to have more options.

with regard to possible donations--with the advent of the narrow banding-most  donated equipment would seem
to not be usable.  i remember on a past narrow banding, we were able to turn down the deviation, and increase the audio
and get along nicely.  this time the FCC has apparently said no and that the  old equipment is  no longer type accepted.
go narrow, or go away.
anyway-the crew has decided to order one of the uv-5r's and see if it will work.  told them that as long as they did not "KILL" it and if they did not like it , i would buy it for ham useage.  can always use another ht in my truck(:<)>.

anyway- nuff said, lets go on to a new subject.  if anything constructive comes out of this will pass it along.

73 & sk         jim studer  kf8sj
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 08:54:48 AM »

Gentleman,

All two way radios wither part 97 or part 90 are made overseas. Even Motorola's. The US got out of the 2-way radio manufacturing a long time ago.

At to days shop labor rates of $175 per hour you will not save any money buying a more expensive radio thinking you wil be able to repair the unit. You only buy specifications and features.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: