Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vibroplex Iambic Deluxe key--better new or 20 yrs old?  (Read 2180 times)
KC9YKI

Ignore
« on: March 27, 2013, 11:50:34 AM »

I've been contemplating purchasing a (new) Vibroplex Iambic Deluxe key for some time, and just as I'm about ready to spring for one direct from the factory, I've come across someone with one that's about 20 years old in fine shape--which begs the question:  Were they better-made 20 yrs ago, or should I go for a brand new one?  I'm impressed with how well the chrome has held up on the vintage key after many years in storage (it apparently was seldom used--he works phone exclusively these days), which makes me wonder if today's plating is as good.  The Vibroplex label is an actual brass(?) plate, which I like.  Other than that you'd be hard pressed to tell that the key isn't almost brand new.

Any opinions/comments would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Jim Carpenter
KC9YKI
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 12:18:36 PM »

I guess it depends on how much he is asking for it. The thing about Vibroplex, epsecially one that hasn't seen much action, is that you can hardly go wrong with it, even if it is 20 years old. And in the world of keys, I would hardly say that it is "vintage".

Go for it!
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 08:24:41 PM »

I don't want to be a real downer, but are you SURE you want paddles made by Vibroplex for iambic keying? You must know the "others" are more highly rated/thought of (Kent).

If you do want Vibroplex, I agree the old label looks superior. And 20 years is still pretty young: my 55 yr old Presentation looks like new. Newer is not always better.

Paul
PA1ZP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 06:40:17 PM »

Hi to all

I agree with Paul.
If you want a really good Iambic key do not go Vibroplex.

Think of Kent or Begali or lots off others.
I am now using homebrew paddles and a Hungarian single lever key.
Build quality of even my homebrew key is much higher as the build quality of Vibroplex.

i love my Vibroplex Bug though but, that has nothing to do with common sence.
Its has that wonderfull nostalgia effect, but it comes with nostalgic bad build quality.
The threads are rude and loose fitted , the construction details and quality are far of the quality keys made by Kent Schurr or Begali and even the cheap Hungarian key has a build quality far out of range of the Vibroplex.
KC9YKI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 08:57:24 PM »

Hmmm...

Thanks to all.  20+ years ago when I was last on the air I had a Vibroplex iambic and was interested in more-or-less recreating my ham experience, hence my interest in the Vibroplex.  I'm working with a Bencher BY-1 right now practicing to get my code up to snuff.  I really have no unhappiness with the Bencher for the moment, but eventually I'd like something a bit more upscale. I like the Kent idea (truth be known, I REALLY like the Begali idea, but I have to draw the line somewhere. Smiley). 

I had to smile when I realized I used "vintage" to describe a 20 year old Vibroplex.  I'm well aware that, at age 69, I'm a lot younger than some early Vibroplex keys. 

I think I may just wait to reward myself with one of the other keys mentioned.  Thanks again for the comments.

Jim
KC9YKI
KA2DDX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 01:01:15 PM »

my Kent and Begali run circles around my Vibroplex - the Kent is not that expensive...compared to Begali.

Larry - KA2DDX
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: