Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CDR TR-2 rotor  (Read 2865 times)
AF5CC

Ignore
« on: March 27, 2013, 01:08:47 PM »

Here is an oldie but goodie!  I recently picked up a CDR TR-2 rotor from ebay.  I can find little information about this rotor, though.  Does anyone have any information on it, like what size of antennas will it handle, or if the control boxes work with other rotors?  It came with 2 control boxes, so I have a spare to sell or use with another rotor.

John AF5CC
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 02:10:03 PM »

If I remember correctly that is a smallish rotor.  check out Morms rotors, and see what he has on it.
KD8GEH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 03:06:07 PM »

Cool, one of the first CDE bell rotors. Prb fine for 440 or 2 meter, IMO.  WOW 50's! Heres a hoisstory link.
http://www.rotor-doc.com/history.html
73 DE Dave KD8GEH
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 03:56:36 PM »

Here is an oldie but goodie!  I recently picked up a CDR TR-2 rotor from ebay.  I can find little information about this rotor, though.  Does anyone have any information on it, like what size of antennas will it handle, or if the control boxes work with other rotors?  It came with 2 control boxes, so I have a spare to sell or use with another rotor.

John AF5CC

John,

How are you?

From my research, CDE Ham III (and up) controllers WILL not work with the TR-2 rotor. Had 2 of those and could not find a good controller for them so tossed them into the scrap metal heap. I believe the TR-2 was a predecessor of the AR-22 which is a very light duty rotor. Hope you get it going after buying from eBAY.

How the WX in OK these days? My mom told me they have been having cold temps and lots of rain in SW Arkansas lately.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
WA2CWA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 06:45:50 PM »

John AF5CC

I have the TR-2 service manual available.

Pete, wa2cwa
http://www.manualman.com
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 06:53:18 PM »

Thanks for all of the information.  Guess I will use it the the MA5B anyways.  Can't do much else with it, and maybe it can buy me a little time to get money saved up for a real rotor.  Guess I need to stay off of ebay!

John AF5CC
K8GU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 06:56:08 PM »

I used one of these for a while (hard to argue with free) to turn a 12-element K1FO 2-meter Yagi and a 3-element 6-meter Yagi.  No trouble at all, except you had to manually peak on stations because the box only reads out in 45-degree increments.  It doesn't have a brake, which is problematic for really long antennas.  Like the others say, the controller is not compatible with the newer bell rotors.  
WA8UEG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 05:55:17 AM »

Should be fine for small arrays, only problem is no brake so will require re calibrating the control box after moderate winds. How often will depend on size of the antenna.
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 11:25:26 AM »

How do you recalabrate it?  Is it like the TV rotors-turn all the way to north, let it stop, and then turn all the way to north the other way?

John AF5CC
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 11:27:50 AM »

How are you?

From my research, CDE Ham III (and up) controllers WILL not work with the TR-2 rotor. Had 2 of those and could not find a good controller for them so tossed them into the scrap metal heap. I believe the TR-2 was a predecessor of the AR-22 which is a very light duty rotor. Hope you get it going after buying from eBAY.

How the WX in OK these days? My mom told me they have been having cold temps and lots of rain in SW Arkansas lately.

Gene W5DQ

Hi Gene,

Starting to warm up again but it has been cold off and on all spring.  Not that much rain, though.  Will see how it does on the MA5B.  It is supposed to work, but haven't got it hooked up yet.  If nothing else, at least I got some 8 conductor cable and a lower mast mount with it that I can use on a better rotor. 

Should be in Ridgecrest again in Summer 2014 unless something comes up before then.  Will have to have another Eyeball QSO.  See you on 6m!

John AF5CC
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 04:45:38 PM »

that would be Norms rotor alias the rotor doc
W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 05:06:30 PM »

that would be Norms rotor alias the rotor doc

Norm can't help him. The oldest rotor he works on is the TR-44.

Clint - W5CPT -
WA8UEG

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 08:43:30 AM »

How do you recalabrate it?  Is it like the TV rotors-turn all the way to north, let it stop, and then turn all the way to north the other way?

John AF5CC

Not sure on that control head but on the later AR22 version you rotate all the way clockwise then all the way counterclockwise and then there is a lever that you click on the control until the display reads north. I would think you should see a small lever somewhere on the control head to calibrate it with.
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2013, 11:07:19 AM »

Radiart TR-2 Rotor Service Bulletin, 1954-1957 (Michigan State archives)
from COLFAX Company, South Bend, IN
https://www.msu.edu/~yurkon/Documents/radiart.pdf
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2013, 10:30:04 AM »

CDE TR-44 Service Manual
http://www.hayseed.net/~jpk5lad/download/CDE%20TR44.pdf
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: