Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A new role for Amateur EmComms  (Read 40819 times)
KB8VUL

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2013, 12:39:00 PM »

In Ohio you need to be a first responder and be registered with the state.   I went through the whole thing when I was a member of a CERT group in my county.  I wasn't overly involved, then the hams came and said they had a cure to all the communications issues for CERT and plowed their way in.  That's when I got uninvolved.  It's also the same time I began working for a two-way radio shop and was given status of primary tech for the county.  If they roll CERT out, chances are that I will be working anyway.

That's how liability is handled in my state.  If you are not a first responder (CERT is in time of a disaster or any point they are activated) you are not covered and have sole responsibility for your actions.  ARES is not considered first responders by any state or local agency here and therefore are personally responsible.  We created the same law as WI, but we specified first responders only (public safety personal)
NX5MK

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2013, 09:23:38 AM »

For all those that believe that transfer of images is of no importance in HAM AuxComm, it seems that indeed it may help in some situations:

http://www.arrl.org/news/colorado-ares-teams-to-mobilize-for-flood-damage-assessment
NX5MK

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2013, 08:03:24 PM »

Another report to support the hypothesis that:

"...There is a greater need from served agencies for high-speed video, data, and high resolution imagery. ..."
http://www.arrl.org/news/first-iaru-region-2-emergency-communications-workshop-focuses-on-awareness-cooperation

A picture is worth a thousand words...
KB8VUL

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2013, 07:06:16 PM »

That statement has NEVER been true. 
If I send a picture of my neked hairy butt to the EMA, it's worthless.

The correct picture is worth a thousand words, but a thousand pictures of nothing steal hours of labor for someone to dig through when a situation needs resolved.
W1MSG

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2013, 08:37:55 PM »

I cant think of a single EMA director that is going to authorize a bunch of Ham Radio operators to roam around a disaster site, just isn't going to happen !
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: