Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Scam -- KI6MPJ/hijacked call  (Read 1559 times)
W7XU

Ignore
« on: March 28, 2013, 12:21:11 AM »

Hi,

I wanted to point out what certainly appears to be a scam being run by someone using the call of KI6MPJ.  The ad appeared on QTH.COM, offering a K3 and multiple accessories for a price that seemed too good to be true.  I did some searching and found an ad on eHam from earlier this month that was essentially identical to the QTH.COM ad, but posted by an N8 and now marked as sold.

After the exchange of several seemingly reasonable emails, the person masquerading as KI6MPJ directed me to send payment for the radio to a 3rd party at an address that is not the one listed for KI6MPJ in QRZ.  Other red flags are that he says there's no need to talk to me on the phone, plus the pictures he sent of the K3 don't include all the options that are listed in the ad.  Also, he is using a yahoo.com email address.

Be careful -- it's a dangerous world out there.

73,  Arliss  W7XU

K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 10:40:34 AM »

Ha Ha.....I saw that yesterday and replied that I had a brother who lived in Santa Clara and wanted to send him right over with the cash to his listed address. I got an email with a resounding noooooo. I figured it was a scam and I was right. No one would sell a radio that originally cost $4800 for $2250. When will these jack asses learn.

K2GWK Website

Stupidity for Dummies (http://stupidityfordummies.com/)

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
W7XU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 01:49:10 PM »

Just in case someone had some lingering doubts about missing a super deal here's an ad from the eHam classifieds, 2013-3-11:

FS: Elecraft K3/100 and P3 Scope

PENDING.....For Sale: Loaded Elecraft K3 and P3 panadapter with many options including the second receiver and antenna tuner. It was a kit but expertly assembled and it works and looks great. Below is the complete list of options: K3/100 - 100w Transceiver Serial Numer 4841 KAT3- antenna tuner KBPF3 - gen coverage bandpass filter KDVR3 - digital voice recorder KFL3A-500 - 500hz cw filter KFL3A-6K - 6khz AM filter KFL3B-FM - 13 khz FM filter KRX3- second receiver KTCXO3-1 - TCXO 0.5PPM KXV3A - K3 rx ant,IF out, Xvtr interface MH2 - Hand Mic P3- Panadapter Serial Number 1840 If you were to buy this all assembled it would cost you $5080 plus shipping/insurance. I will sell the package for $3850 shipped. will sell the radio for $3225 shipped, and the P3 for $625 shipped if the radio sells first. Postal Money order only or possibly Paypal with fees. PLEASE NO TRADES WANTED...selling to purchase another new radio. Email for more info if wanted Thanks Tim NZ8J

And here is that ad that was on QTH.COM yesterday:

Listing Number: 1055778
Date Ad was Placed: 03/27/13
Name: James
Phone Number: E-MAIL ONLY
Callsign: KI6MPJ
Category: RADIOHF
Heading: FS: Elecraft K3/100 & P3 Scope
Ad Message:
For Sale: Loaded Elecraft K3 and P3 panadapter with many options
including the second receiver and antenna tuner. It was a kit but expertly assembled and it works and looks great.
Below is the complete list of options included:
K3/100 - 100w Transceiver
KAT3- antenna tuner
KDVR3 - digital voice recorder
KRX3- second receiver
MH2 - Hand Mic
P3- Panadapter
KBPF3 - gen coverage bandpass filter
KTCXO3-1 - TCXO 0.5PPM
KXV3A - K3 rx ant,IF out, Xvtr interface
KFL3A-500 - 500hz cw filter
KFL3A-6K - 6khz AM filter
KFL3B-FM - 13 khz FM filter
I will sell the package for $2250 shipped.
Postal Money order only or possibly Paypal with fees.
PLEASE NO TRADES WANTED...selling to purchase another new radio.
Thanks
KI6MPJ

The person calling himself James, KI6MPJ, gave me this reply when I asked for a telephone number:

There is no need calling..... as you are fine with price , payment type and price.
Kindly proceed with a PO money order to.

Paciana Benitez Ashton
931 Temple dr., apt 2
San Jose, CA

James

That's not the QRZ address for KI6MPJ, needless to say.

73,  Arliss  W7XU
AE3RT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 01:52:41 PM »

Hello All,

Definitely a scam. I tried to find another e-mail to let KI6MPJ know/confirm that someone was scamming using his call. (The e-mail with the ad is a yahoo one that anyone could have opened.)

He sent me pictures and they were taken from a listing on ebay. (Item number 111037852107; he even sent the full serial number which makes me ask even more questions since the ebay lister blanked out the last two digits in the picture that shows it clearly?) He never responded to my second e-mail when I noted that the radio was missing the transverter/if output option board in the pictures he sent and asked why there was no pictures of the P3. I also asked him why he was selling a $5300 radio for $2250. The listing mysteriously disappeared right after this on eham.

It really pays to check up on this stuff...

Thanks for the confirming observations.

Roger (AE3RT)
AE3RT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 04:30:23 PM »

Hello All,

I did find out from the e-bay seller that the serial number that the scammer used was not the correct one.

Roger (AE3RT)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: