Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Noise...started yesterday  (Read 5514 times)
N4DOV

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2013, 08:23:26 AM »

Thanks Dave NK7Z : will do as you say. Did tell them about my testing and will repeat it at every opportunity, all has been recorded.Thanks K8AXW will do.
73's David N4DOV
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2013, 08:34:42 AM »

Thanks Dave NK7Z : will do as you say. Did tell them about my testing and will repeat it at every opportunity, all has been recorded.Thanks K8AXW will do.
73's David N4DOV

Just remember that you will likely get more with sugar than salt here so give power company benefit of the doubt and do not be abrasive.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
N8NSN

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2013, 10:48:55 AM »

May want to re-post this in the RFI/EMI forum.

As a side note; I found a new source for RFI problems...

A good many of the low-wattage, fluorescent light units are noisy.
In the interest of saving as much on the electric bills many appear to be going to the new fluorescent type low-wattage lights. ESPECIALLY be wary of the ones made in China.
I bought a few six packs of them a couple weeks ago and installed a couple in the shack. On average, four of six emitted 20db over 9 on all my receivers of hash - when within 10 feet of the receivers! I have since replaced these low-wattage units, in the shack, with newer LED lamps. They only consume 2.1 watts of power and deliver the same light as a 25 watt incandescent light, and are quiet as any incandescent light.
Haven't experienced it personally, but have heard some of the Chinese low-watt fluorescent lights have been known to have power supply/ballast blowouts and can lead to house fires!

Side note 2:
My PS/Charger for my laptop PC is extremely noisy, too.

Yes, keep us posted...

If it turns out to be arc faults on the power lines, you'll be happy to know that the power company, no matter how much it appears you're being a PITA to them, want to know about this stuff. A GREAT deal of wasted energy/money is firing off with arc faults. When the problem is rectified (punny) it's a win/win for everyone ;-)

N8NSNjimmie
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2013, 01:26:10 PM »

I'm telling ya..  just mention to them that you're trying to wash the lines down to see if it makes a difference and they'll come right over!!    Grin 

Yes.. be nice.. offer some beers, show them the noise (portable AM/FM radio - how the Ham stuff is worthless now).. tell'm that if they don't fix it ASAP you'll be forced to spend more time with your better half!   Kiss  and there's some big contests coming up.. ALSO, it's screwing up your RADIO.   Don't forget the radio part and the bunny ears on your TV!   (serious about the AM/FM Radio part).   That's a bigger deal to them then Ham radio (until the FCC gets involved in 9 months?).....

If the K index keeps going up..  we all might be in the same boat this weekend...   Grin

N4DOV

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2013, 03:45:39 PM »

Thanks for further replies. As you can see I am monitoring this closely, no ham radio to wile away my time. Actually the XYL wants it sorted out so I dont bother her too much ! ! (wishful thinking). Today worked battery portable from a park 6 miles from the house. No change in noise - appears constant.

News: Power Company will be here at my home on late Monday to assess situation. Will keep you posted.
N4DOV

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2013, 04:02:30 PM »

GOOD NEWS: RFI Investigator, Radio Operations foe the Power Company has just completed his visit. Isolated problem to pole behind house and with further testing was able to confirm the problem was a C phase lightening arrestor on the pole. He was happy the I submitted a report of my testing, as most complaints don't - so for that I must thank you all for guiding me through the process. Should be repaired within 2 weeks, which he said is standard .
Again thanks all.
David N4DOV.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2013, 06:08:05 PM »

GOOD NEWS: RFI Investigator, Radio Operations foe the Power Company has just completed his visit. Isolated problem to pole behind house and with further testing was able to confirm the problem was a C phase lightening arrestor on the pole. He was happy the I submitted a report of my testing, as most complaints don't - so for that I must thank you all for guiding me through the process. Should be repaired within 2 weeks, which he said is standard .
Again thanks all.
David N4DOV.

Good to hear you have a fix coming. As I said earlier I was sure it was a power line problem based on symptoms.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2013, 09:11:42 PM »

Grin  Very good David.  Now the next shocker will be when you turn on the rig for the first time after the power pole repair...... and think the radio is dead!
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2013, 02:48:11 AM »

Hey David, If you can...post a picture to maybe your QRZ webpage of the problem part.  If you can.  Might be helpful for others to see what this bad lightening arrestor looks like.  Glad you got the guy to come out and all will be well in a couple of weeks.  Just be sure to tell us how much a difference in noise there is.

Rick  wn2c
N4DOV

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2013, 06:08:18 AM »

In my rush to record the finding of the RFI, I left one major detail out. The RFI Investigator for the Power Company is a RADIO HAM, so I was really fortunate. Below is my take on the process.

The procedure used yesterday, was, first he came to the shack and listened to the RFI on my 2  radios, including the one with the bandscope. Then went outside where the antenna was disconnected at the entrance panel and connected it to a portable testing receiver he had, and the noise was again very obvious. Then we walked the power lines and poles at the back garden of my home and neighbor next door and with a VHF direction finding antenna we located the exact pole. He then used an ultrasonic sound receiver-dish to isolate the faulty C-phase arrestor. Hope this makes sense.

Again I am highly appreciative to all the Elmers on this post for your wonderful help. It is gratifying to know you are out there with your expertise ready to help in situations where hams like me , lack the procedural knowledge. When this first happened my non-ham friends asked me how I was going to get help. I explained I had access to the "brains" of the country! I am proud to be associated with you. I will post again when it is fixed.

73's David N4DOV.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2013, 06:52:50 AM »

Again thanks all.
David N4DOV.
Very good news Dave...  Congratz!  Be sure to keep a record of this interaction for later...  In the event you need it again, you can ask for the same fellow!

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2013, 09:49:59 AM »

I have learned that ANY piece of hardware on a power pole can be a source of RFI if the circumstances are right.  When we consider how much hardware is hanging on a power pole, we should be happy that this kind of problem isn't more prevalent.

I worked in a power plant for 40 years which generated 500v, 4160v and 13.8Kv and had tie-transformers to a commercial system that came in at 138Kv.  It was always interesting to watch this hardware during a rain, especially after a long dry spell.  One always maintained a pucker factor of at least 5.0 while watching this display!  When it was necessary to visit the 138Kv to 13.8Kv substation to reset relays, this pucker factor always ramped up to 10!

QST ran a construction article a few years back on how to build an ultrasonic arc detector that used a small parabolic reflector. This would be very similar to what the power company engineer used to find David's problem. 
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2013, 12:02:53 PM »

I have learned that ANY piece of hardware on a power pole can be a source of RFI if the circumstances are right.  When we consider how much hardware is hanging on a power pole, we should be happy that this kind of problem isn't more prevalent.

I worked in a power plant for 40 years which generated 500v, 4160v and 13.8Kv and had tie-transformers to a commercial system that came in at 138Kv.  It was always interesting to watch this hardware during a rain, especially after a long dry spell.  One always maintained a pucker factor of at least 5.0 while watching this display!  When it was necessary to visit the 138Kv to 13.8Kv substation to reset relays, this pucker factor always ramped up to 10!

QST ran a construction article a few years back on how to build an ultrasonic arc detector that used a small parabolic reflector. This would be very similar to what the power company engineer used to find David's problem. 

Many many years ago, (about 45 years), prior top my wife and I being married, we used to drive out in the woods to neck...  Happens that our favorite place was under a High Tension line...    Often when it rained after a dry spell, we could both hear and see the wires at night...  This spot was on a hill looking down a valley, and the High Voltage wires ran down hill for about two miles, in a very clear area...  The wires were glowing a purple/violet color...  Very cool...

Now that I am older, I have built one of those Ultrasonic detectors...  It work fairly well...  I have two reviews, one for the Ultrasonic device, and one for the MFJ three element RFI locator at:
http://nk7z.net/category/info/mitigation-of-rf-interference/
These reviews cover my general feelings towards these devices...

Thanks,
Dave
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2013, 09:45:54 AM »

Dave: 

Many many years ago, (about 45 years), prior top my wife and I being married, we used to drive out in the woods to neck...  Happens that our favorite place was under a High Tension line...    Often when it rained after a dry spell, we could both hear and see the wires at night...  This spot was on a hill looking down a valley, and the High Voltage wires ran down hill for about two miles, in a very clear area...  The wires were glowing a purple/violet color...  Very cool...

Wow..... as I seem to recall..... given the same same circumstances.... I doubt if I would have noticed a July 4 fireworks display!   Roll Eyes   LOL.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2013, 10:30:25 AM »

Dave: 

Wow..... as I seem to recall..... given the same same circumstances.... I doubt if I would have noticed a July 4 fireworks display!   Roll Eyes   LOL.

Snicker...  Once a geek...  Always a geek...  Smiley

Thanks,
Dave
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: