Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Noise...started yesterday  (Read 6407 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2013, 04:14:48 PM »

These are tuff but my guess based on what has been said and done is power-line noise. I transformer or connection is arcing and radiating through power lines and why coverage is wide with a walk around. Need to stop chasing gremlins and shutting down houses and get power company out there.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
N4DOV

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2013, 05:07:02 PM »

W8JX : Thanks for your reply - will be calling the power company in A.M. will try tonight also in case...
N4NYY :  No gas lights in my neighborhood, thanks for your input.

As I said I have significant power lines behind my home, they are just above my back wall.Together with massive road construction(8 lane highway with central lanes which change with rush hour) just less than a half mile from my home.

Again thanks all,
Will post any news.
David N4DOV.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2013, 06:10:13 PM »

W8JX : Thanks for your reply - will be calling the power company in A.M. will try tonight also in case...
N4NYY :  No gas lights in my neighborhood, thanks for your input.

As I said I have significant power lines behind my home, they are just above my back wall.Together with massive road construction(8 lane highway with central lanes which change with rush hour) just less than a half mile from my home.

Again thanks all,
Will post any news.
David N4DOV.

Hello again Dave,

Being underground, I was going to suggest you call the power company, but it looks like you are on that path already!  Good for you!  I would advise you to start a log today.  Log everything you have done, everyone you have spoken too, what their names were, and what was said...  In the event the FCC becomes involved, this goes a long way towards credibility...

I had a very loud RFI source come on one day, and it took me close to a year to track it down...  I am above ground power wiring, and the source was underground power wiring and a block and a half away.  That and I was working at the time, and was putting in 15 hour days for that year kept me from really hitting it hard to locate it...  In any case, the the RFI was moving from the grow lights to the power lines, underground, then back up a pole, and then to my rig via re-radiation, a block and a half away...  A real pain to locate...  Please do post what is happening as this progresses...

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2013, 06:24:05 PM »

I'd take the portable radio in the car and do a perimeter of the noise as best as possible.    Go out further until it goes away.  

At night look at the electric lines where there meet the poles.   Binoculars etc..   Any constant arcing....  Small buzzing... 

Then call the electric company.

I have a power pole to the side of my property.   When it doesn't rain in a while, the salt spray builds up and one of the feed lines arcs to bracket support on wooden pole.   It took a little while to find that one because it wasn't always happening.   That was a sharp +40 pulse and my noise blanket was able to help some when it did happen.    

Has it rained lately?   High winds?   Anything unusual when it first happened?

Satellite shows your location is dense / townhouses - if correct?   Anyone growing weed over there?  Wink
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 06:36:10 PM by WH7DX » Logged
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2013, 06:36:21 PM »

Anyone growing weed over there?  Wink
Bingo!  Out of five locates in the past year, 3 were grows...

Thanks,
Dave
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2013, 06:55:37 PM »

Weed growers...  Classic....  A basement full of sun lamps..

Good sites...

http://www.arrl.org/sounds-of-rfi

http://www.arrl.org/power-line-noise

Some YouTube videos showing power line interference...  Didn't try weed growers.. Wink
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2013, 07:07:19 PM »

Weed growers...  Classic....  A basement full of sun lamps..

Good sites...

http://www.arrl.org/sounds-of-rfi

http://www.arrl.org/power-line-noise

Some YouTube videos showing power line interference...  Didn't try weed growers.. Wink
http://www.arrl.org/grow-light-rfi

Thanks,
Dave
N4DOV

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2013, 07:52:05 PM »

Thanks to all for their input.

WH7DX Bryan : Thanks also. To answer some questions. No rain for about a week, no winds,nothing unusual.
Location is dense with single family homes(500 in developement) with minimal setback between them.Neighbors on each site vacated homes and they are for sale(economic times). Also wonderful ARRL references, thanks. As regards "unusual" horticultural activities - cant be sure, there are a few people who I believe dont/never worked but seem rather affluent, no one knows their income source - it is South Florida you know !.

Addendum: Tonight the noise is at its worst, not that is is ever "good". Again took a walk with the radio (at bottom of AM band) as I walked away from the front of my home it quietened, but when I went under the power lines at back of my house it was louder and very loud near one of the poles near the corner of my home about 100 feet direct line from the shack (? transformer there and lots of ceramic insulators). Feel  stupid not picking this up earlier, noise from road and highway construction will be my lame excuse. Sorry.

Thanks to all. Will keep you posted re Florida Power and Light.
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2013, 08:28:06 PM »

No problem...  The main thing is finding out where it might be coming from.    My problem with the pole arcing lead me to try and spray water up and have the wind carry it over to lines to wash salt off.   When I told my electric company that...  They came RIGHT over...   Shocked

Let us know how it works out. 

Bryan
Wh7dx
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2013, 08:45:24 PM »

David:  The post about "documentation" is very important.  Be sure to include photos (like the ones you posted)including dates, times and comments. 

I have no idea how responsive your power company will be but ours pretty well ignored our problem until we involved the FCC.  That's when things hit the fan and there were here pretty quick.  However, to really involve the FCC you will need the aforementioned documents to get THEM to move.

KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2013, 10:50:02 PM »

Do you have a router in your home? If so switch it off to check.
If possible try a second radio to exclude yours.
KA1KXL

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2013, 04:55:41 AM »

Just one more note, to anyone looking to track down RFI in the future; shutting down power to the entire home is a great and important first step. When the noise remains then sometimes it can help to try higher frequencies (e.g. harmonics), as they often drop in power with distance much faster than say on the AM-band / long wavelength bands. You can then go out with a portable radio, increasing frequency as you get closer to the source.
N4DOV

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2013, 06:52:22 AM »

Thanks again for your replies.
K8AXW: Yes have begun documenting. As regards "responsiveness" I expect I will have to wait and see.
KA4POL: Yes in  my attempts yesterday, I did turn off routers etc and was also was using a portable/battery setup with portable antenna outside in my little garden to run my testing at the same time. Unfortunately did not make a difference.

Addendum: Called FPL who told me it would be investigated by April 11th. Spoke to Supervisor H...... who relayed message to department that is responsible for RFI, requesting them to call me today. Noise really "bad" today.

NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2013, 07:08:54 AM »

Thanks again for your replies.
K8AXW: Yes have begun documenting. As regards "responsiveness" I expect I will have to wait and see.
KA4POL: Yes in  my attempts yesterday, I did turn off routers etc and was also was using a portable/battery setup with portable antenna outside in my little garden to run my testing at the same time. Unfortunately did not make a difference.

Addendum: Called FPL who told me it would be investigated by April 11th. Spoke to Supervisor H...... who relayed message to department that is responsible for RFI, requesting them to call me today. Noise really "bad" today.

Remember...  Add every discussion, and contact to your RFI log!  Log when they called, if they called, what they said, when they said they would look, when they looked, what they found, etc...  You can not log enough, nor can I stress how much the log will help later if needed.  Be sure to let the Power company know you have done Power off testing, and where when they arrive.  That will save them some time in testing as well...

Thanks,
Dave
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2013, 08:20:28 AM »

David: Final comment..... I found out twice that the power company is more responsive when they learn that you know what you're talking about! They're experts at using male bovine effluent (aka. BS) with the public.

This reiterates what 7Z is saying but documenting "everything."
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: