Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cant get TS-480SAT setup for Digital modes ????  (Read 9338 times)
KD0TLI

Ignore
« on: March 29, 2013, 06:13:31 AM »

I'm a new HAM and could use a hand.....

I have a TS-480SAT running with HRD.
I am told that this rig does not require a soundcard interface like SignaLink or Rigblaster, but requires only an
audio cable running between the PC and the radio made from (2) 3.5mm stereo plugs to a mini-DIN 6-pin connector.

I'm have the rig connected to the PC with the DB9 serial cable, so that part is operational.
I made the audio cable that I described above, and pluged it to the data port of the radio, and the stereo plugs into the
PC. 

Result:  I'm not able to decode the digital waterfall signals, they appear as jumbled text in coded format.

Anyone run into this ?
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 06:53:23 AM »

Have you down loade the 480 control program?  Do you have an interface for the digital modes?  Do you have a program for digital modes that you would like to run...Digipan perhaps?  Have you read the manual?  Other than telling us that it does not work, tell us what you did to get it to work

Rick wn2c
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 07:17:55 AM »

Personally I would never recommend HRD for digital for anyone, especially beginners.  Then 480 has audio in/out levels in menu. If the are set too high, printout will be garbled.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KD0TLI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 07:54:35 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions guys,  I'm a bit waterlogged with info on digital modes at the moment, but I'll keep reading the manuals.   

I'll check the audio in/out levels again, I know I was in there once and looked that over, but I'll take another gander.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 08:36:16 AM »

I'll check the audio in/out levels again, I know I was in there once and looked that over, but I'll take another gander.

Set it to minimal levels to start.

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KD0TLI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 06:47:29 AM »

I've verified the (2) audio settings on the TS-480SAT are set at their lowest settings.

So, guess its back to the HRD manual to see what I'm missing.

I was hoping to avoid buying a Signalink interface but I'm starting to suspect my PC will require it..
The PC is second hand, and I know its old, but its had Windows 7 loaded on it, but I know the graphics card is weak,
so I'll bet the sound card isnt anything to write home about either - so maybe the sound card just wont do the trick ?

WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 09:06:57 AM »

What interface are you using from the radio to the computer?  and the manual I was refering to was the 480 manual.

Rick  wn2c
KD0TLI

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 10:23:14 AM »

WN2C: 
I'm not running a soundcard interface,  I have been told the TS-480SAT doesnt require it (as I mentioned in my original post).
I built the audio cable -mentioned above and I've been trying to get that setup to work in order to avoid buying a Signalink interface.

There's lots of info out there for rigs running a Signalink type interface, but in my case,  I'm told I can use this rig without it -- just havent figured out how.
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 10:41:44 AM »

Section 14 and sedction 9 of the 480 manual, page 78.  Have you looked at it?  You may also need to set menu items 46, 47, 56 and 60.

Rick  wn2c
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 10:50:46 AM by WN2C » Logged
OZ5CB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 10:59:21 AM »

You are right. The ts480 does not require a Signalink type interface, it will do fine with the diy interface you are describing.

DATA port (6 pin mini DIN) => Jack Speaker / Jack mic.

First, are you sure you are getting audio to your PC? Check your Mic levels (do not use Boost) and reset menu 46 and 47 on the ts480 to about 4-5.

Carsten oz5cb

ps. you may need some impedance matching in your cable, or you will get all sorts of problems when trying to TX.
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 10:20:46 AM »

I'm a new HAM and could use a hand.....

I have a TS-480SAT running with HRD.
I am told that this rig does not require a soundcard interface like SignaLink or Rigblaster, but requires only an
audio cable running between the PC and the radio made from (2) 3.5mm stereo plugs to a mini-DIN 6-pin connector.

First question:

. . . Who told you?

Second question:

. . . How is _their_ rig connected to _their_ computer?

_Any_ computer running Windows 7 has enough CPU power for digital modes.  _Any_ soundcard that works is fine for PSK31.

You should certainly be able to _receive_ with a direct link from DATA OUT (on the rig) to "Line in" or "Mic" (on the PC).

Whether you can _transmit_ is a different question.  It depends on how much RF (from your feedline and antenna) gets into the _audio_ cable between the rig and the PC.   Sometimes, you can fix "RF-in-the-shack" problems with ferrites on that cable, sometimes not.

.             Charles
KD0TLI

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 12:24:06 PM »

Charles,  thanks for the reply, 
a) fellow hams who own the TS-480 told me I can direct-connect (without a Signalink type device) using the normal kenwood specified Serial cable, and home brew audio cable described in thier manual (which I have connected currently).
b) same way I described above.
c) I am running windows 7

RF in the shack is an option I have not dealt with yet.
I will try some ferrites on the cables and see wha happens.
I'm also weeding through the web for any info I can filter out on setting up DM780, but I havent found any majic bullet yet I havent already tried (radio settings, PC soundcard settings, HRD settings) - but there is alot I dont yet know about it yet.

Maybe I should admit defeat and get a Signalink ?
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 01:41:43 PM »

Maybe I should admit defeat and get a Signalink ?

Why?  My, including myself, do not use signal link and do fine. Your rig does need a sound card interface to do digital but it can be in PC. A Rig Blaster plug n play (what i use) works different than a signal link. I is pre-wired for data port on 480 and splits out audio for pc sound card. Signal link uses a built in sound card. The Signal link uses internal VOX only keying which can work with most modes while the Rig Blaster supports software controlled PTT and works with pretty much all modes.

KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 01:44:57 PM »

Not using an interface may result in hum pickup from grounding issues and other problems.  Any home-built interface should have isolation transformers or some sort of buffer amplifier.  Going from there, your built-in sound-card may not be suitable for digital operation.  I use a SignaLink USB for digital operations including WINMOR which is somewhat picky on timing, etc.  I actually have three of them configured for two different HF radios and a dual-band FM radio.  Our EOC uses one for HF digital ops.  I do all my HF digital ops in USB mode, fast AGC and no DSP.  I have used the SignalLink with Vista, XP and WIN7 operating systems with no problems.  As for VOX keying with the SignaLink, I use the serial port for PTT on my TS2000 instead and the VOX keying for the FT100D with no problems.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 01:47:37 PM by KG4RUL » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 02:32:32 PM »

Not using an interface may result in hum pickup from grounding issues and other problems.  Any home-built interface should have isolation transformers or some sort of buffer amplifier.  Going from there, your built-in sound-card may not be suitable for digital operation.  I use a SignaLink USB for digital operations including WINMOR which is somewhat picky on timing, etc.  I actually have three of them configured for two different HF radios and a dual-band FM radio.  Our EOC uses one for HF digital ops.  I do all my HF digital ops in USB mode, fast AGC and no DSP.  I have used the SignalLink with Vista, XP and WIN7 operating systems with no problems.  As for VOX keying with the SignaLink, I use the serial port for PTT on my TS2000 instead and the VOX keying for the FT100D with no problems.

Never found a sound card that did not work. I am currently using a cheap USB sound card the size of a tiny flash drive (for a second sound card) and it works flawlessly. The Rig Blaster PnP worked out of box and with different rigs and no need to use a extra cable too software PTT thru serial port. It does it all through data port. 

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: