Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 160M DX - pretty dead since mid Dec.  (Read 3463 times)
W3HKK

Ignore
« on: January 17, 2015, 06:52:06 AM »

Not heard much DX coming through on Top Band since mid December, especially EU. But this morning at 12:28z I worked JO3JIS on 1815khz , 539 both ways.  Not great but at least copiable.  Then heard two more JA's (559) on 80 cw, and a VK16  59+ on 40 ssb, plus a VK6.

Things may be quieting down on Ole Sol, reducing the D & E layer absorption.  See you in the CQWW160 Contest.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 10:46:53 AM »

I have had excellent success on 40M and 80M to JA and Oceania past week.

I felt 160M was really good in CQ WW CW. Since then I worked a couple KH6's and VK3IO and a good number of G's and GM's and EI's in the Stew but not much else.
W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 02:58:54 PM »

Heard a very weak G3 lst night plus  two good Carribean stations  HH and PJ2.

Am  saving energy for this weekend when  hopefully  we hear more from SA, AF and EU.  Looking to put the new SAL-30 to  good use.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 01:34:06 PM »

I have been listening to the EU pileups for EP6T on 160M past couple nights. Also just calling CQ to test the waters and getting occasional replies from G's and DL's. Conditions seem pretty decent to EU, good to hear the strong-signal EU stations on 160M again!

You should be very satisfied with having worked JA on 160M! Me and my partner worked our butts off at a well-known east coast multi-multi just to pull a single JA out of the noise on 160M in 2013 CQ WW CW. I'm told they didn't get any JA's in 2014.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 01:37:26 PM by N3QE » Logged
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 03:04:58 AM »

Wednesday night conditions on 160M were great to EU! There was this horrible lightning storm off the east coast (apparently the same storm that brought us a couple inches of snow wednesday) but worked several loud EU's through the crashes. Worked Asiatic Turkey, a new one for me.
W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 05:55:09 AM »

Ive yet to hear the EP on 160.

And there seems to be a big difference between east coast and  mid-west circuits to EU even though I am  only about 500 miles due west  from Philly.

Often hear loud 1's, 2's, 3's, 4's calling somebody but not hearing who theyre calling.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 09:23:01 AM »

Ive yet to hear the EP on 160.

And there seems to be a big difference between east coast and  mid-west circuits to EU even though I am  only about 500 miles due west  from Philly.

Often hear loud 1's, 2's, 3's, 4's calling somebody but not hearing who theyre calling.

Oh, I can't hear the EP, but I've been listening to the EU pileup for EP!

Yes, I often hear loud stations from all over North America, working DX I cannot hear.

I'm told there was a very nice opening to JA from eastern US in CQ 160 CW, but I did not hear any of the JA's myself.

One N7 claims to have worked 136 JA's. 136 JA's!!! On topband!!! The mind boggles!!! At same time 137 EU's from my QTH seems entirely possible in good conitions so maybe not so unusual.

Tim.
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 10:44:20 AM »

I'm told there was a very nice opening to JA from eastern US in CQ 160 CW.

There sure was! I heard others, but I only worked two JAs in this CW WW 160. The last JA was S5 here in SW MO. (That was off the back of my SE-NW 580' Beverage, 10' high.)

160 was in great shape during the parts of the contest when I was on! We made about 110 contacts, just S&P. We worked Europe, several places in the Caribbean, a couple of DX calls that I haven't looked up yet, and about 44 states including HI and AK. With the exception of RI, most of the states that I didn't work in this contest were not that far away.

It was great fun! I wish I could have spent more time in the contest. And too bad it's the last 160m CW contest before the summer QRN takes over.

W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 06:43:01 PM »

I used the CQ160 Test to test my SAL30 by working DX.   

Not  very good conditons to EU or the Carrib here in central OH.  I managed 21 EU's and 10 Caribbeans.  Did work KH6 but no KL7  or JAs. However one of the local Big guns  said he worked 15 JA's in the contest.   So there was a "special"  opening thats for sure.

I  worked most of what I heard but missed 5 good ones.  Didnt hear the C5X or the EP6 in the contest.  And only heard spotty Euros, mostly  southern  Europe.
But other Ohio stations worked  a fair bit more than I. 

its a funny funky band, thats for sure.

Cndx to the West were quite good...I worked mor AZ stations  than ever, plus a nice number of   MT, ID, ND, WY, OR, WA, CA, etc the few times I  CQ'd.  But  for 9 hours I mostly S&P'd.

Only one OA ( SA station) heard in the entire contest.

US was good.  DX was fair to poor for me.   
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Today at 08:28:15 AM »

its a funny funky band, thats for sure.

US was good.  DX was fair to poor for me.  

I only operated casually this year in the CQWW160CW, Search and Pounce only. I went to bed both nites at 9pmCST. I Can not pull all nighters any more.   Wink On Saturday I had a Hamfest to go to, got up at 3am and worked the contest until 530 AM.

I only made 331 Q's.  Got only 23 DXCC in the contest. I did work 5 JA, several KH6's, a dozen or so EU and a few Russians and WL7E, many Caribbean, only a few SA. Compared to previous years not too good propo. The band was pretty quiet tho which helped my ears.  Cheesy

I have worked 103 DXCC on 160 mtrs the last few years but have only 81 LOTW. I was hoping get a few more new LOTW but so far none. This was the main reason I worked the contest, I would like to get to 100 LOTW on 160 mtrs.

My station is modest, TS-590s, AL-1500 and a  IAC 160 Meter Inverted-L Bazooka Antenna ( http://iacantennas.com/160-Meter-Inverted-L-Bazooka-Antenna.10 ) with about 40 radials. NO separate Receive antenna, I use the IAC for RX. I live in the Midwest Black Hole in S.IL.....

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: Today at 08:43:50 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: