The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HF not propagating, head to MF.  (Read 14638 times)
KK5DR

Ignore
« on: October 10, 2016, 04:19:03 PM »

It's that time again. It's time to load up on 160m.
Starting this weekend, I'll be on or near 1.889mhz on Friday and Saturday nights, starting at sunset.
Here in Texas, there is a "season" for 160, it starts in October and ends around the end of march, as thunderstorms increase in frequency.
Join in. If you have an amp for 160, please use it, we need all the help hearing, we can get.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 07:00:04 PM »

It's that time again. It's time to load up on 160m.
Starting this weekend, I'll be on or near 1.889mhz on Friday and Saturday nights, starting at sunset.
Here in Texas, there is a "season" for 160, it starts in October and ends around the end of march, as thunderstorms increase in frequency.
Join in. If you have an amp for 160, please use it, we need all the help hearing, we can get.
    Listening online at:  www.160m.net  and  www.w7rna.dyndns-remote.com:8073
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 08:39:50 AM »

I don't know if one can be so absolute that this is the case.  Just this morning (1100 GMT) on 40 meters I had a short QSO with a ham in Canberra Australia from my east coast QTH.  I was running 100 watts into a dipole; he was running 400 watts.  His signal was relatively consistent with 58/59 reported; my signal to him was a 59 report but what really mattered is that we were able to have at three back and forths strong and stable enough to have a true ragchew with little QSB. It's true that HF propagation has declined as a trend but DX opportunities are still there.  Of course the time zones and rule of thumb about when to use the bands for reciprocal DX contacts will always apply.  Some hams with limited experience or knowledge get disappointed when DX stations can't be found immediately as during past, peak cycles.   I sort of blame the ARRL for hyping this current cycle back in 2007 almost promising that working DX would be like shooting fish out of a barrel.  They harped this message just as the code part of the license test was being phased out and they saw a golden opportunity to increase their membership roles and revenue of course. Some naive new hams became disappointed with the lackluster DX cycle perhaps because they don't know how to hunt.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 09:36:57 AM »

It is very rare when 40m does not work regardless of sunspot cycle. If I could only work one band it would be 40m.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20 WPM Extra
KK5DR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 06:22:26 PM »

I've been on 160 the last couple weekends. It's working nicely.
I use a half wave dipole at 60 feet, fed with RG-213 and choke sleeve Balun.
I use a ICOM 7300 and 4KL. The first 1000 miles is easy.
See you on 1.889mhz on Friday and Saturday evenings after sunset.
Run some power so we can hear you in Texas.
That loaded vertical isn't gonna do it for you either...
OZ8AGB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 08:55:43 AM »

1.889 milli herz???  Roll Eyes
KA2FIR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 09:27:46 AM »

Can I get an Inverted-L up in time for the contest?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: