Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help identifying an Elmer  (Read 981 times)
IWANNABE

Ignore
« on: March 29, 2013, 11:20:12 AM »

Hi folks!  New the group and to HAM.  I wonder if you could send me down the path of identifying an Elmer to help me along?
PD2R

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 11:34:58 AM »

Well, I think your best chance of running into an Elmer is going to your local club.
I.m.h.o. an Elmer is someone who has been an active ham for a at least a couple of years, is patient, and above all is willing to mentor you.
But really, anyone with more experience in this hobby and who is willing to help out, can be a great Elmer.
Like I said, visit you local club and introduce yourself as a new ham. Ask questions and soon you will be able to tell which of the members are potential Elmer's  Wink

73, Maarten PD2R
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 02:26:14 PM »

Hello,

In addition to finding someone at one of the Ham clubs, grab the basic books and research the Internet.  The Internet with sites like these are invaluable. 

There are countless message threads on "first radio and first antenna choices" with all kinds of input from experienced hams etc...

I would research all the questions asked and replied - and go from there.  After that, ask someone you meet or someone here or on another website for further assistance.

You picked a great hobby!  Enjoy!

If you have a radio now - make sure to listen in this weekend for the big CQ contest. 

Bryan
WH7DX.

KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 02:41:47 PM »

7DX just left the barn door open for a hundred more posts... "the basic books."

that would be the ARRL handbook for reference, an operating manual for style tips like the league's, a copy of the ham regs because it's still required, manuals for your equipment, possibly the ARRL antenna handbook or another similar tome if you're building your own, and anything that catches your fancy according to your interests and pocketbook.

frankly, any year of any of them will do, a 50 cent version from 1958 at a used book store has a lot of merit as basic reference.

download the band-plan page from the league and print it, so you don't accidentally walk into extra-class space and get scared by an FCC postcard.

let the counter-posts fly....
W5FYI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 11:10:51 PM »

I did a search of hams in your zip code area and came up with 125 hits, including one for a repeater club. Here's what I did; I went to www.arrl.net, entered your call sign in the Call Sign/Name Search window, and got the information about you--including your zip code. Next I blanked all fields, except the zip code field, and did another search. Bingo, 125 listings.

Look up the repeater club's trustee, and give him a call and ask him about the club and its members. Chances are he'll know a great Elmer or two who would be willing to help you out. GL
W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 08:51:35 AM »

Firstly welcome to the wonderful world of Ham Radio -
FYI has the right idea, but I can offer an easier way:

Go to: http://www.qrz.com/lookup/

In the "Lookup" box type your Zip Code
Change the "Type:" right below that to "Name/ADD" and Press "Search"

You will get a LONG list of hams - one caveat - disregard any callsigns (far left column) that does not start with an A, K, N or W
These are foreign, and just happen to have the same number in their address as your Zip Code.

You may even recognize some one that you know.

Good luck and come back here and tell us how you did.

Clint - W5CPT -
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: