Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Extra Women? :)  (Read 5055 times)
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2013, 12:35:14 PM »

I knew a British YL with a callsign. She was convinced that, although she had an amateur licence, she wasn't clever enough to do electronics at university. So she did Mechanical Engineering and carried on until she had got a PhD......

The YL with a callsign that I met at the radio club did electronics at university. She still does it for a living and we celebrate the 30th wedding anniversary in September.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2013, 01:57:29 PM »

Any interest that my XYL had in getting her license was lost when she realized that there were no home shopping nets.Her only participation in the hobby now is in shutting the door to my ham shack when I'm on the air and telling me where I can't put up an antenna.To her credit though she makes a mean ham Jambalaya.
KK4APV

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2013, 02:31:33 PM »

Rose, congrats on on passing the General and working on the code.

<snip?

I challenge you to have the Extra passed by by this time in April or at least by the end of.  What do you think?  Can you do it?   

I think you missed the first post...

I passed the Extra on Saturday.

Hence, the title, "Extra Women."

Grin
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2013, 08:09:56 PM »

You are right Rose, I did miss that!.  Congratulations again and hope to hear you on the air!.  Do you think it is possible that these OHG's that you spoke of were trying to motivate you to upgrade by telling you that you could not do it??  
Congrats again and next time I'll pay better attention to what I am reading.  Undecided

73 de Rick  wn2c
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2013, 06:03:55 AM »

There are old farts in Ham Radio who feel women should not be on the air. But hey there are men golfers who feel women should not golf.

Enjoy the hobby Rose. Congrats on upgrading to Extra Class. Years ago I earned my WAS 75 Extra Class Endorsement from the ARRL. I had to work all states, Extra Class calls only. There was always a few Extra Class women on that net. I think there are still a few who participate in the net which has now moved to 3.668 and is known as the Geratol Net. The ladies were always treated with respect.
AK4ZW

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2013, 12:15:40 PM »

Extra Women? No thanks, I have enough already in my house, what with my wife and daughter.

My wife is more than smart enough to be an EE, but she is a lowly programmer/architect
just like me. Her attitude is "Why would I want to talk to a bunch of people I don't know."

She has a point. Some of the old prunes on the air are downright offensive. Sad sad.

I was listening to the contesting this weekend and a YL got piled on, it was pathetic.
We need more ladies in the hobby to hand these old timers their rear ends when they
get out of line, which some of them are permanently in a state of stupidity and classlessness.

Anyway as a new VE and Ham, I hand out new radios (eggroll HTs) to anyone that passes
the test. I am trying my best to recruit bold smart new young amateurs to the hobby. And I am
having some success.
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2013, 06:59:15 PM »

RE: Extra Women?

Good Grief!  In my opinion, ONE woman is one too many and you want EXTRAs?
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2013, 07:11:51 PM »

She has a point. Some of the old prunes on the air are downright offensive. Sad sad.
I was listening to the contesting this weekend and a YL got piled on, it was pathetic.
We need more ladies in the hobby to hand these old timers their rear ends when they
get out of line, which some of them are permanently in a state of stupidity and classlessness.
Anyway as a new VE and Ham, I hand out new radios (eggroll HTs) to anyone that passes
the test. I am trying my best to recruit bold smart new young amateurs to the hobby. And I am
having some success.

Well, on behalf of all of us "old prunes" out there (and on the the rare occasion when I am actually on the air, I conduct myself in a manner that is totally beyond reproach), I sincerely apologize for those of us who don't meet your or your wife's expectations.  I am so happy to hear that you are meeting with success in recruiting new candidates who meet your high standards.  Could it be that, somewhere down the road, some of those new candidates may, one day, deem you equally incapable of meeting THEIR high standards?
Tom
KJ4AHI

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2013, 06:19:46 PM »

Congrats on attaining your Extra! I'm a General, my YL is an Extra, (kj4tja). I take some ribbing from her,but I haven't really pursued my Extra license, concentrating instead on learning morse code. Of course I'm struggling with it,and she is not all that interested,but she has graciously agreed to help me practice. She said that since she is a "visual person", the preferred audio method of learning code is difficult for her. (It's difficult for me because I'm dumb) Smiley. Anyway, we got two morse code oscillators (ameco makes some simple do it yourself kits) and we have conversations, which suits her much better! I'm not an expert, I'm still struggling, but I would suggest downloading the K7QO code course and load it to your cell phone or mp3 player and find a partner to converse across the room with the practice oscillators. It can be a lot of fun Wink. Of course finding the time to sit down and practice can still be a challenge. Good luck! Hope to hear you on the air on straight key night!
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: