Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Logging help  (Read 2263 times)
KD2BHY

Ignore
« on: March 30, 2013, 04:25:20 PM »

Hello everybody

This weekend, I made a some contacts in the CQ WPX contest. I noticed I made some mistakes in my log. I wasn't trying to win, I was just having some fun. I was wondering, do I have to submit my log for other stations to get credit for my contact? I was thinking about not submitting my log but would the stations I contacted lose points if I didn't submit my log? In other words, do they cross check logs, so every station I contacted would lose credit if I didn't submit my log?

Thanks so much
                      KD2BHY
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 04:45:55 PM by KD2BHY » Logged
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 04:59:30 PM »

They DO cross-check logs, and if you worked a few stations in the contest, most contests will be very glad if you submit your log.   If you do like me--just play in the contest for some fun, no intent to compete--you can submit what's called a "check log," one that's just for checking other logs.  It never hurts to submit a check log; most of the time the contest organizers are glad to have it!

If you only worked one or two stations in the contest, the people who worked you might lose points--the contest doesn't know you're for real if only one or two people claim the contact with you, because it might be a miscopied call.  All the more reason to send in your log.

By the way, GOOD for you for giving contesting a try!  Contests can be a lot of fun, even for non-contesters like me.  :-)  I got one all-time new country this afternoon--that's ALWAYS fun! :-)  And contests are a great way to work a lot of DX very quickly, which is great, and a lot of contesters use LOTW, which is also great, and contests tend to bring lots of activity from places that aren't always easy to work--which is ALSO great.  Wink    
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 05:02:20 PM by AC4RD » Logged
KD2BHY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 05:04:37 PM »

Thanks for the answer. I was just wondering because I am not very much of a contester and I missed a few serial numbers. I will still submit it though. I was having (and still am) a great time. I added many new countries to my log. Thanks for the reply
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 04:06:57 PM »

You don't have to submit your log for the stations you worked to get credit for their contacts with you.

But, as noted by AC4RD,  if you don't submit a log and made only one or two contacts your call would be "unique" and might (but won't necessarily) be interpreted as a mis-copied call, resulting in a penalty for the station(s) you worked.

And, the stations you worked will NOT be penalized for any errors that YOU made in copying their information.

So ... send in your log.

Mel - KS2G

VE3CX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 03:32:48 AM »

Good for you for submitting your log!

There is two more benefits that have not yet been mentioned:

You will see how easy it is to submit your log, AND
You get to see you call in print in an international magazine when the results are published.

How cool is that!?!

Contesting does generate a lot of extra activity on the bands, and new folks are always welcome to join the fun.

Tom - VE3CX
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: