Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sunspot Cycle Doldrums ?  (Read 1207 times)
K6UJ

Ignore
« on: March 31, 2013, 09:49:28 AM »

I am focussing on low band antennas,  40, 80, 160 now.
Especially for 10 meters, my tribander is just a perch for the birds.
Planning on  trying some new antennas for the low bands and maybe taking down the tribander.
Maybe I am premature with this but this sunspot cycle is going nowhere.
Anyone else thinking along these lines ?

Bob
K6UJ

W2LO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 10:11:30 AM »

I don't see this anemic cycle going anywhere except down over the next several years.  There may be brief periods of somewhat better conditions but I believe the best (such as it was) is behind us.

I hope I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 10:50:23 AM by W2LO » Logged
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 11:34:49 AM »

You never know; this weekend in the contest, using a 3-el 10m yagi only 12' above ground, and 100watts, I worked ZL, VK, 5W, and KH6 on ten meters, even though the propagation summary said "poor" for 10 meters.  And that was on phone, not CW.  Even if propagation is supposedly poor, it never hurts to listen carefully and see if there's some DX there!  Wink
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 12:18:33 PM »

I have started planning for this, but feel its about 2 years before I replace my 17M stack with a switchable 40M yagi, up 70 feet - and most Definately wire, and using my Stack Match. It will be oriented NE - SW.

But I'm also interested in trying a loop - up 70' for 160 - 10M, but really concentrating on the low bands.

I had heard a bunch of rumors last year about really rare dx-peds that might happen in 2013, and the trend seems to be that these are all being pushed out a year.

So, I would hate to be without a high band antenna with height, gain and directivity, when Tromelin, Heard, Amsterdam, Bouvet, Navassa and South Sandwich are activated.

For me, the issue isn't conditions, its the fact that nothing I need has been announced.

I do think this could be a summer of experimentation though - since I have all the time in the world waiting.

Rich
KY6R
K6UJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 04:58:46 PM »

I have started planning for this, but feel its about 2 years before I replace my 17M stack with a switchable 40M yagi, up 70 feet - and most Definately wire, and using my Stack Match. It will be oriented NE - SW.

But I'm also interested in trying a loop - up 70' for 160 - 10M, but really concentrating on the low bands.

I had heard a bunch of rumors last year about really rare dx-peds that might happen in 2013, and the trend seems to be that these are all being pushed out a year.

So, I would hate to be without a high band antenna with height, gain and directivity, when Tromelin, Heard, Amsterdam, Bouvet, Navassa and South Sandwich are activated.

For me, the issue isn't conditions, its the fact that nothing I need has been announced.

I do think this could be a summer of experimentation though - since I have all the time in the world waiting.

Rich
KY6R

Hi Rich,
Yeah I think I will keep my tribander intact for a while longer.  With my luck right after
taking it down all my ATNO's would show up on 15 and ten.   Grin
This cycle has been discouraging though.  I installed the optional add on element to my Force 12
C3 for 10 meters and it made a nice improvement on gain and especially F/B ratio.  Havent had much of a chance to work DX on 10 with it though.   Your 40 meter yagi up 70 feet sounds like
it should work quite well.  I have been entertaining the idea of hanging a 40 meter vertical Moxon off a pole sticking out the side of the tower near the top and rotating it manually.  It will be fun to see if it works.

Bob
K6UJ 
N6ORB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 05:49:32 PM »

Ten wasn't bad this afternoon in the WPX contest. Nothing new for me, but I was surprised to stumble across KH9/WA2YUN calling P40L. He had only about 140 contacts according to his serial number, but he probably made several guys happy.

Dave, N6ORB
K2DC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 04:57:57 AM »

Bob,

The antennas for the low bands are a great idea, but I would absolutely NOT take down the tribander - EVER.  Most of my best ATNO's have been on 20M that I doubt I would have worked without a beam, and I made HR at just about the bottom of the last cycle.  And I only have 2 elements on that band.  So leave it up if you can, you might be surprised.

Don, K2DC
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 05:09:10 AM »

+1 on Don/K2DC comments.

Although 40 is VERY interesting this morning (KH0 after local sunrise, and UX1LW 100% daylight path!), I worked Mayotte and Samoa on 10 meters and Qatar on 15 meters in just a few minutes of operating over the weekend.  And I have heard VK9/C strongest on 15 meters (although I have not gotten through yet).

Even in the bottom of the cycle in 2007-2009, I was always able to work some type of DX on 20 NS `7 (including DXpeditions), and there were openings occasionally on 15/12/10
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: