Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Battery case vs. factory NiMH vs. LiIon in HTs  (Read 1388 times)
SMAUG

Ignore
« on: July 03, 2013, 10:31:37 AM »

I've got an Icom IC-V80 Sport, which is their basic 2m HT. Sport means no factory NiMH pack was included, but they reduced the price by $40 because of it.

So I've got six Sanyo Eneloop cells in the included battery case. Their shelf life is AWSOME. Their capacity is great too: 2,000 mAh.

It has me wondering: what is the point of having the factory NiMH pack? Maybe it is a bit more rugged?

How about the Lithium pack? Less voltage drop in lower temperatures, but the battery capacity is about the same, and the shelf life is the same too.

This first charge on these Eneloops just lasted me 3 days, and part of one day transmitting at 5.5 W with a bad connection in the car antenna. I think I will just buy another set of Eneloops for this, instead of a factory pack. Or maybe REALLY do it up, and get another AA case too.

What do you guys think? Am I missing something?

Jeremy (KC9ZHE)
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
-Abraham Lincoln
VE5EIS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 01:46:26 PM »

In the car you might prefer to use a battery eliminator.  Generally you'll get higher transmit power and you'll never run out of juice, as long as your car is running.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: