Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Woo, this waiting is killing me.  (Read 4064 times)
SMAUG

Ignore
« on: June 30, 2013, 08:56:24 PM »

Two Fridays ago, I passed my Tech exam

Last Friday, my antennas arrived. Saturday, my HT arrived.

I've got the HT all programmed up with the local repeaters. Overheard an interesting conversation from hams 55 miles away about a tree limb falling through one's roof and denting the fridge. They fixed the roof, but the dented fridge is still a reminder.

Even so, I am 'silent key' because the FCC is taking their time getting me another callsign. (my last one expired in ought-six)

Grrr, so frustrating!

Not that I have all these great, interesting things to say, but I could actually do a lot more with a scanner at this moment than a ham radio. Wink

Jeremy (KC9ZHE)
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
-Abraham Lincoln
K3IC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 04:56:29 AM »

Have you checked FCC Uls database to see if you are in there?  My experience was that it only takes a few days.  You don't have to wait for the paper license.  Congratulations by the way.  What kind of hardware (ht, antenna)?

Mike
K3ic
AE5QB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 06:12:17 AM »

... the FCC is taking their time getting me another callsign. (my last one expired in ought-six)

As much as I dislike governmental agencies, I don't think you can blame the FCC here. Typically within 7 days of passing an exam, our candidates see their names and call signs in the database.  My suspicion is that your VE team did not send off the results promptly after you finished the exam and therefore the delays.  My experience is that the ARRL and FCC are very fast to turn around the paperwork once they receive it.  I would check back with your VE team and see if and when they mailed in the paperwork.

I understand your anxiety whatever the reason for the delay.  Hang in there.

Tom/AE5QB
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 09:19:55 AM »

Tom beat me to it.  Sometimes the VEC team doesn't get the results package into the mails right away.  One team I know of had a leader who put one package into his briefcase--and forgot it was there!  It ended up getting sent in a couple of weeks after the fact.
SMAUG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 01:42:18 PM »

I had been checking that database several times per day. I just checked it again after reading these responses, and BINGO.

I'm KC9ZHE.

It took 10 days, but I took the exam on a Friday evening. So assuming it went out in the mail Monday morning, then took two days to arrive, that was only 4 business days. Not too bad.

But still, hard to wait. Wink

Jeremy (KC9ZHE)
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
-Abraham Lincoln
KQ6EA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 04:53:27 PM »

When I passed my Novice exam in 1964 it took EIGHT WEEKS to get my license.

Kids today have it soooo easy........ Grin
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 06:09:54 PM »

That's because the postman had to carry it uphill both ways!
KQ6EA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 07:23:21 PM »

Yeah, through the snow....
AE5QB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 07:54:04 PM »

I'm KC9ZHE.

Congratulations on your new call.  Have fun with it!  Good luck!

Tom/AE5QB

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 05:39:25 AM »

I had been checking that database several times per day. I just checked it again after reading these responses, and BINGO.

I'm KC9ZHE.

It took 10 days, but I took the exam on a Friday evening. So assuming it went out in the mail Monday morning, then took two days to arrive, that was only 4 business days. Not too bad.

But still, hard to wait. Wink

You're lucky that you aren't still waiting on the paperwork.  That may still take a couple of weeks to get to you!  Back when I was first licensed it took nearly three weeks to get my call--it was back when you still had to wait for the paperwork before you could transmit.

In any event, congratulations!  Now go and have some fun!
APW19562

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 09:10:15 AM »

I know the feeling. I passed my Tech on 6/22 and still don't see anything in the database.

I have two Kenwood TM281's and two Kenwood TH-K20's ready and waiting.

One of the 281's is already mounted in my Tahoe, connected to a Tram 1180.
The other 281 is up on the 3rd floor in my man cave, connected to a 30A MFJ power supply and Diamond X50NA on a 25ft run of TM LMR400.

I have a bunch of repeaters programmed in all the radios and have been listening to numerous conversations taking place...  unable to chime in.

Not that I'm much of a talker...  but sometimes you hear something of interest or something completely inaccurate... and just feel the need to key-up.  Grin
KV4PL

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 12:17:05 PM »

Yeah, through the snow....

With both hands tied behind his back!
VE5EIS

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2013, 01:51:41 PM »

I took my Canadian Basic exam in April, on a Saturday afternoon.  I was in the Industry Canada database by Sunday at 8 am.

So although I'm no longer a kid (by a large margin), yes, I was spoiled.  Very pleased.  Smiley

Even better when I upgraded to HF privileges in May it was done in less than two hours after I finished my exam.
DLITTLE

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2013, 05:11:27 AM »

Congrats and welcome to the Ham World, again.
The radio you reference is good. The programming is difficult without the programming software and cable from someone like RT or Amazon

I use mine in my Jeep with an 18" mobile mount antenna. Works fine

Good luck

Doug
KK4RSJ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: