Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Baofeng  (Read 6038 times)
WB0BBC

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2013, 08:19:53 PM »

I purchased two of the UV-5RA units on amazon.com for my XYL and I to use.  I've been pleasantly surprised by their inital quality and ease of use.  As others have noted, I don't expect the quality or performance of my Kenwood, Icom and Yaesu radios, but the Baofeng radios do work well (so far).   The factory supplied antennas aren't the best, but again, for $50 per radio (including battery, belt clip and charger), what should we expect?

The radio does not have APRS like my other VHF/UHF radios, but to keep in touch with the XYL and not use our cell phones, the Baofeng is a good, economical choice.   I recommend using CHIRP software to program the radio.   See this website for good resource info and help files:  http://www.miklor.com/

73's,

Paul, WB0BBC
K8QV

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2013, 04:07:30 PM »

Got mine for $39 from Amazon. Seems to work the same as any other HT, but for 20% of the cost. Needs a better antenna like all of them do. You should spend the extra $8 for a programming cable (same as the one for Kenwood) and make sure you have the right driver. Personally, I can't tell the difference between the 'feng and my Yeawoods that died on me. This whole feature packed xcvr costs less than a battery for the Kenwood, so............
KD8GEH

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2013, 08:09:12 PM »

My 2 cents...

I have owned one for a year and love it. All the locals have bought them and are very happy bang for the buck.  They aren't yeasus or kenwood but rival in performance. A little learning curve to program but no big deal.  Hot tip, use the software to program and you will be fine. Join the Yahoo group and read the FAQ there.

I carry mine daily and hit the repeaters no issues. A aftermarket antenna or mobile improves them as well. The factory antennas are soo soo but fine for local and small.

73,  Dave KD8GEH
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: