Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood TS-850S... AUTOMATIC ANTENNA TUNNER problem  (Read 1498 times)
OE3JTB

Ignore
« on: February 19, 2013, 11:54:20 AM »

As some other people described here http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?300816-Kenwood-TS-850S-AUTOMATIC-ANTENNA-TUNNER-problem-need-help-amp-advice-PLS this is the only problem I didnt solve yet.
I have the same problem, documented by a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBLMRxoHh-E , but I didn't found any solution in the net.
Intresting would be for me, how much power you have, if you make tuning (external SWR meter) mine is 40W with CAR and power fully clockwise.
Perhaps something could be changed by VR6 and VR7 at RF board, described in the service manual
Pse for advice or info, if somebody has a solution or hints
TNX 73 Alex
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 09:54:58 PM »

Did you do the proposed steps from the qrz.com link? Does it happen with a dummy load? What antenna are you using.
Please provide some more information.
OE3JTB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 12:59:59 AM »

HI, tnx for answer
 in addition I want to mention, if I switch the tuner in the hidden menu to "manual" and tune with the VFO and the MR/CH knob, it works fine and the tuner switches off at low SWR. So I have a workaound, but I am intrested , that the tuner is working fine also in automatic mode.
And if the SWR is set properly in manual mode and then I switch back to automatic mode, the tuner switches off to, because there is no need to tune any more :-)
3 years ago, I have had contact to a Swiss OM, who had the same problem, he contacted Kenwood, and they said, turn CAR fully clockwise, and told him, he had no much power for tuning operation, but the failure is still there.
I use a dipol, the same with a dummy load, if I turn the CAR knob fully ccw I can release a tuning operation, so first the tuner is mistuned, then I turn filly clockwise and the tuner is acting again in the same way with no automatic switch off.#
So my 2 cents, the initial compasion value, when the tuner has to switch off, works in manual mode, but not in automatic mode, the question is why.
Perhaps  reason could be, in mistuning the reflected power is to high and somthing in the compair network is not working properly, but how to check that? Dont find a hint in the service manual, how to adjust.
tnx
73 Alex
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 10:02:56 PM »

I just can recommend you check out the TS-850 Yahoo group. They had a discussion of this problem some days ago: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TS-850_450_690/message/11887
OE3JTB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 04:40:03 AM »

Hi, tnx for the hint, but I believe, thats no problem, which I can solve with settings at the front panel.
73 Alex, OE3JTB
OE3JTB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 08:09:19 AM »

Yesterday I got one step further!

In the service manual on page 172, there is the AT described.
After checking all voltages as described, I fond TC1.
in the middle of the left page, there is TC1.
You find it if you remove the top back cover of the tuner
Then I did tuning on a dummy load and during tuning I adjust TC1 carefully. I
can hear, that the behavior of the "tuning tone" changes from faster to slower
and voila the tuner switches off automaticly.
If the anoying "rit rit" tone is reached, before the tuner switches off you can
force a new tuning over by moving the car knob fully CCW, wait 3-4 seconds and
than moving fully CW.
Mine now is 90% ok, some antennas can not be tuned, but in that case I am using
manual mode

KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 08:53:15 AM »

Congratulations and thanks for the feedback. That was certainly hard to find.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: