Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 gauge wire dipoles  (Read 1550 times)
KD6OJG

Ignore
« on: March 31, 2013, 06:56:52 PM »

Is there any problem with make a dipole out of 10 gauge wire?

NI3S

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 08:24:20 PM »

Depends on the wire.  if it is steel core copper clad, not a problem.  If it is the standard stranded copper wire it's weight versus say 14 or 16 gauge might case more stretching over time.  If the real question is would you build an antenna with the stuff you have on hand or can get at a bargain price? ABSOLUTELY!!  The knowledge gained and experience earned are worth it, even if it's life is not that of a high dollar commercial unit. 
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 05:27:38 AM »

10 gage copper wire will work perfectly electrically.  Larger diameter wire will not increase your signal strength over a smaller wire, but it may give a slightly wider bandwidth, but probably not enough to notice.

Dick AD4U

NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 09:35:46 AM »

Two issues are,it`s heavier and harder to work with. Twisting the ends around an insulator will be difficult. If you get snow it would sag pretty bad. I have a dipole I made from 12 gauge solid wire. I`ve had 14 gauge break from windstorms and weather,so I thought I`d try the heavier stuff. If you already have the wire,might as well use it.
K0ZN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 10:20:18 AM »

Should work just fine. I have a friend who has a 160 m dipole made from #10. It has weathered some bad storms. Use high quality/strong end insulators if the antenna is for 80 or 160 as the tension will be higher than smaller wire. If this is for one of the bands above 40 m there are no mechanical issues at all. Should be a good antenna for you if you can get it modestly high.

73. K0ZN
KB6HRT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 05:59:49 AM »

The posts before have talked about extra weight, have tried different wire sizes on my G5RVs to improve signal to noise issues my antennas may have had at the height they were installed an had some luck doing so, Nr 10 wire has a more bass tone to it, an a Nr 16 is brighter sounding to me.  I myself like Nr 14 steel core copper signal strand wire, everything you do makes a little difference, that why tuning of an antenna is critcal for me, I call my antennas, antenna system because they are for me and if done right it all works together..........KB6HRT
K9MRD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 08:11:19 AM »

............Nr 10 wire has a more bass tone to it, an a Nr 16 is brighter sounding to me. 

If we are talking about strings on a jazz guitar, I agree.  If not, rubbish......

Sorry for being blunt, but April 1 was yesterday!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: